Epoxy Brands, Types, and Applications

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
When I did mine I did 6 full practice runs. I layed wood next to hull. Pretended to mix and spread resin then did full clamp / secure. Look for anything that can go wrong. Dropped hardware,broke clamp or whatever. Get extra hardware,extra clamp etc..... remember it's a ONE SHOT DEAL and if something goes wrong it will be real hard to fix. Mix more resin than what you think you need. You don't want to have to try to mix more in the middle. Everything seemed to take longer than I thought it would and was glad I prepped like I did. If anything would have gone wrong I would have been ready and when I did it the resin was just starting to set when I was done checking all my clamps

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok, so now for the question(s) that I can't seem to find an answer. How much to mix up for my transom? My transom is about 20 sq ft so if I just use peanut butter to bond the plywood to the hull, how much should I make, so;

1) How much epoxy resin to coat the 20 sq ft of bare wood?
2) How much peanut butter to make to coat the hull for bonding the 20 sq ft of plywood?
3) For the peanut butter in 2), how much epoxy, how much 406 or cabosil, and how much 1/4 inch CSM fibers are likely needed to make the batch?

Adding 1/4 inch CSM fibers is from the FriscoBoater video on how to make peanut butter.

West Systems 406 is pretty expensive and only comes in 1.7 oz which may or may not be enough for my job and I need to make sure I have enough of everything on hand..

Thanks..

zool

Captain
Frisco was using poly, so he used csm with it, epoxy doesnt require it.skip the csm fibers.

What i do is make up a bunch of small batch cups with just resin set up for 3 parts, and set aside, the u can just add the 1 part hardener as needed for additional batches, it kick without the hardener.

You will use less than one large can of 406 for the whole transom. Alot of it will weep out the edges and you can cove that in for tabbing the transom to the hull sides and bottom.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok, so I finally found that a pint of epoxy resin (no thickening) would appear to cover my plywood for seal coating but still haven't found anything on how much epoxy resin to mix to peanut butter for bonding the plywood to the hull. For 20 sq ft would that maybe a quart or half gallon epoxy made into peanut butter?

On the 406 by large can do you mean the 5 1/2 oz can?

zool

Captain
Ok, so I finally found that a pint of epoxy resin (no thickening) would appear to cover my plywood for seal coating but still haven't found anything on how much epoxy resin to mix to peanut butter for bonding the plywood to the hull. For 20 sq ft would that maybe a quart or half gallon epoxy made into peanut butter?

On the 406 by large can do you mean the 5 1/2 oz can?

I used less than a 5.5 oz can of 406 ($30.00) to adhere and fillet a 10' x 4' (around 40 sf) on mine. IIRC there was a fair amount left in the can. Keep in mind, depending on how wavy your outer skin is, you will only be filling on avg about 1/8 to 1/4 between the skin and wood, most will squish out the sides and weep holes if clamped correctly, which can be used to fillet the sides and bottom and fill the weep holes.

I used a 1/4 notched trowel to spread it on the wood and transom skin.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
There is no magic recipe per portion. The consistency is based on the application you are using it for. Wet, runny, filler, thick, layup...etc.
So you make the mix you believe will cover the area and as zool has said keep alternate units ready to add catalyst.
The trick is simply to be able to add the cabosil till you have a consistency that won't drop like hot butter....more like literally peanut butter. Upside down, inside out.....
The cost of cabosil is cheap and you will be running thru it many times as you work your boat.
I use a soup spoon or a soup ladle to thicken up the mix and also a paint blender on my drill. Time is of the essence but is all doable.
Do a trial run with something on da boot so ya get a feel for it.
Really just anutter learning curve.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Picked up some fast hardner tonight since my temps aren't quite high enough even with my heat pump. I also picked up a 6 oz can of 406 so hoping I now have enough to make sure I get through the job.