Brackish water barnacles

I am looking to buy this 2017 fiberglass wakeboard boat. The price is discounted because the prior owner left it in brackish water for a year and SEVERAL barnacles grew ALL over the bottom. The dealer selling says it can be acid washed and scrapped off off. I am skeptical. Anyone have any experience in this? Will it look good if professionally done? It's pretty bad. I can send pics
I thank you in advance for any advice.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Part of life in SW

scrape /acid wash/ then scrub agin if needed. Wash then wax. If worst comes to worst, apply bottom paint

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if it sat long enough for barnacles to grow, it didnt get used that much

agreed that acid washing is a part of life with a moored SW boat

windshield ice scrapers work well to scrape the hull.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
...The price is discounted because the prior owner left it in brackish water for a year and SEVERAL barnacles grew ALL over the bottom. The dealer selling says...

Do you think the seller really thinks that's the only problem with the boat, and that's why it's discounted? It could be, and you found a good deal. Suggest posting pics here, you'll likely get more help that way.

Yes, I've successfully removed foreign material (including shells) via acid-washing

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Best to wear thick gloves when scraping them off,
cuts down on blood loss lol

Eye protection too when lying under the hull/trailer

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

They (barnacles) are easier to get off if you can let them die over the off season. Not a big deal, get some Barnacle Buster and it will look like it never happened.

If you are going to keep the boat in brackish or salt, you will want to consider anti-fouling paint for the null bottom and running gear that stays in the water.