Sea Nymph Backtroller restoration

Grubbs1960

Recruit
I have a 1990 Sea Nymph Backtroller 16‘ semi-V fishing boat with a 25hp Suzuki DT25 tiller outboard. The decks have started to rot, carpet is needing to be replaced, etc. I‘m considering, while doing all of this, or converting this to a standup center console style and was hoping some more experienced folks would offer comments on the feasiblity of this kind of endeavor and advice if they‘ve done something similar. Obviously, I‘d have to retrofit the outboard if possible so that I could steer from the console. Depending on practicality of this, I am also willing to replace outboard with a 40hp (hull max rating). Any advice regarding either the idea of retrofitting with a center console or how to go about replacing the decking, during which I intend to rearrange things a bit to provide for more tackle storage, would be greatly appreciated.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
sounds like a complete gut and refurbish, think along the lines of spending around 5 grand upon completion, is it worth it to you? , then go for it :) most of what you described is possible, just remember it all adds up over time.
I would remove cap and do full resto from bottom up and then transform it into the cc as you go .

Grubbs1960

Recruit
Yes, probably a full gut and refurb, but I was hoping to get it done with less than $5K, unless of course I opt for a new outboard. Were you thinking new motor in that figure? And can you suggest any good reference sources or threads for different options for designing and installing the decking? I’m pretty handy (mechanical engineer, woodworker, have built a stripper canoe), but I’ve never undertaken an aluminum boat project before so I’d kinda like to research the options a bit before diving in.

Picky fisher

Cadet
She'll cost a bit thats for sure but its all on what the persons capabilities are and the quality of materials that add to a build cost. You could keep the cost down but your gonna have to search for a used motor and controls.if it were me i would build a side console easier to run controls and steer cable. Your 25horse can be converted but its a little under powered if ya want to carry more than 2 guys. Post some pics of the boat! Its nice to see what your workin with!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
New everything even if 5k, try and find a new 16' AL boat for less than that... not gonna happen. You can find a donor boat to get you into a remote steering set up. I just bought a nasty rotten glass boat with a galvanized trailer and a mid 90's oil injected 115 Merc for 1500. A 16'r in my opinion is best with a side console rather than center.

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree with Watermann on this one Grub. I have the side console version of this boat, and it works quite well. I'm still happy to own it. Feel free to check out my restoration pages, although all of the pics cant be seen (thanks for that photobucket).

Feel free to reach out to me on anything with your project!

Frey

oldrem

Commander
Should be able to do a tinny for a whole lot less than 5k. I spent less than 4k on my full gut and that included rebuilding the old 40hp Johnny, trailer rebuild and mods and a brand new GPS trolling motor. Then I stumbled on great running '92 Merc 40 with T&T for a great price. ($800 including a running '86 35 and all controls for the pair)