1981 Citation Marquis restoration...

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought this project boat...

If the first three characters of the HIN (FSJ) tell who made this boat, it’s a Citation. It’s an open bow design (bow rider?). I can give the the full HIN, if that’s allowed/safe. I’d like to know the brand/model/year of this boat, for reference. I’ve got a bunch of pictures of various numbers and plates and such, I took right after getting it, if that will help give me some idea of what I’m working with.

needess to say, the interior is gutted (no carpet/seats, etc.), the engine is seized (spark plugs pulled (a few are laying around, rusted to death), carb open (now taped up), water got in the engine... not a pretty picture), etc. It’s... a project. But I only paid a total of $275 (delivered) for it! And I’m planning on making it an electric conversion, so motor function is not critical, unless it’s worth (value) more running than selling it as is (if worth anything).

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HINDecoder gave me full info. I have a 1981 Citation. Question is, what model?

Here’s a pic:

Attachments

• photo306303.jpg
    photo306303.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

chevymaher

Commander
I looked on the interwebs I found 2 just like yours. being sold as citation Marquis. Here is a pic of the boat with the same markings as yours in better condition. Markings in better condition not the boat.

Attachments

• photo306304.jpg
    photo306304.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
chevymaher - Thank you! Did you know right away what it was, or did you have to look to figure it out? I’m wondering if there are any custom replacement parts still available for it (it looking for a cover, when the snow finally melts), but all I ever see are the generic boat covers you have to strap on. Apparently, this boat had a cover that snapped on to the fasteners all around.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your best bet for a cover is to contact your local canvas shop which is most likely what was done to the boat at one time.

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found one with intact interior! Now I have an idea how to restore mine, which is gutted of all floor carpet, seats, engine cowl/pad, etc.

Attachments

• photo306313.jpg
    photo306313.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 6

chevymaher

Commander
I got a video that teaches you how to make a cover from You Tube. And like Scott said look in Wal Marts boat dept they got covers for about 40 bucks.

No it took me a long time to decide that was your boat. I downloaded your first picture and blew it up to see the design on the side.

chevymaher

Commander
I re read your post. Your interior is practically the same as mine. So I know how the wood under everything should be. Just ask when you get that far. I got a bazillion pics of when I did my interior. Biggest problem is your missing the fold out seat tracks. You can still make it and look the same but they wont pop open.

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Uh, I don’t HAVE any interior right now! :-D. It’s gutted (and the floor is shot and the str. But if you’re referring to the picture of what it SHOULD look like, yeah...

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a way to edit/delete posts? I accidentally hit send before I was done.

chevymaher

Commander
Uh, I don’t HAVE any interior right now! :-D. It’s gutted (and the floor is shot and the str. But if you’re referring to the picture of what it SHOULD look like, yeah...

Yes I was referring to what it will be picture of interior. The wood underneath is the same as mine with different seat covers.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since you're building the interior from scratch, wouldn't you want to modernize the seating arrangement? I mean, you could go back with a captains chair on a pedestal and then do wrap around seating down both sides and the back. You can chop that up with the engine cover / dog house. Lots of options. It would be more functional and modernize the boat a bit. Building seat bases it not that tough.

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like I won’t be doing much with the boat til I get it fully checked out by Fish & Game. Pay $100 and if the original owner can’t be located, I get the boat. I was told the original owner died, but basically gave it to the seller after moving. But this will be the official channel to get true possession of the boat. *sings the Jeopardy theme while waiting...* :-D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most boats without paperwork are yard planters

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Depending on your state Boat Registration laws it can be easy or difficult to register a Boat without a title. Fish and Game can give you the details.