91 sea ray 185 bow rider restoration

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well that’s not what I wanted to hear! Haha oh well it is what it is I’ll just order 10 gallons and if I need more I’ll get it when I need it. I really wanna have it ready for summer this year but at the rate I’m going between work and this weather, it’ll be 5 years before it’s done lol

Just ran-into this post... definitely gonna watch the show!

I used all of 20 gallons of polyester (yep from US Composites), when I did my 19' Sea Ray Seville... ended-up doing multiple purchases, Yeah - HazMat charges got pricey very quickly!

So I know this is off subject, but it hit me while I was at work. I’ve been looking around for some tower speakers. Found some I liked then I thought about I can make some. I like the polished aluminum look. So I started making these today. They’re made out of .08 and .118 aluminum. 9 inches in diameter and 12” deep. 8” coaxial speakers will go in them. Planning to tig weld them, grind, and polish. Then seal the inside and put some cotton insulation in. As well as installl mounts on them. I’m not done with them, I have to finish bending it around, tacking, and welding. Any thoughts/comments?

Attachments

• photo306726.jpg
    photo306726.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • photo306727.jpg
    photo306727.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • photo306728.jpg
    photo306728.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
We have about 6 rolls (one from the 30s), the one that gets used the most is a manual one

I would make the end cap out of something thicker so you could run a 1/4" round-over bit around the perimeter

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I plan to build a sun pad on the back with bench and captain seats.
This is likely WAY too soon to ask, but... Have you given any thought on how to fabricate your sun pad? I've fairly-much finished all structural work on my Sea Ray, but am just plain-old stuck on how to build my sunpad, without it weighing a ton.

This is likely WAY too soon to ask, but... Have you given any thought on how to fabricate your sun pad? I've fairly-much finished all structural work on my Sea Ray, but am just plain-old stuck on how to build my sunpad, without it weighing a ton.

Actually yes I have. And I’ve seen others as well in other boats. So mine had a mini sun pad already I guess you could call it... where the Bimini top was stored. It had two supports made out of 1/2 ply that ran vertical ways beside the motor. As well as one that ran horizontal across the boat that gave access to the battery and trim motor. I’m pretty much mimicking them, just farther up to support the pad. Also the brace I had over top of the motor that gave access to the battery and trim motor, I’m reinforcing it and moving it to the front of the motor. That will be the backing for the bench in front of the subpad. Then simply build a bench in front of it. The sunpad will be made out of 1/2 ply as well and of course covered with foam and vynil. I’m also going to put 2 shocks like you’d find for the hood of a car under it to help lift and hold it up. I have no drawings or measurements for it yet. But I will be sure to post more on that when I get to it. It will be a good ways away haha

i found this picture while i was looking at doing stringers and it gave me a good idea as to how im gonna do the supports for the sunpad and bench in my boat...

Attachments

• photo_2_zpsd607647a.jpg
    photo_2_zpsd607647a.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 3

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I’m starting to get some ideas as well on a sundeck. It’s hard to start but once you get going it gets easier. I hate the starting myself :(. I always overthink things

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you look at my thread I just built my bench and sun deck from scratch because I had back to back seating originally. For the minor increase in weight my sun deck is 3/4 making supporting it not a big issue. My backboard of the seat is 1/2 with 1x2 for bracing. The boxes for the bench are all 1/2 and the only other 3/4 is the seat bases. The deck is supported by hinges at the back and along the edges there are supports. The entire front is supported by the seat back.

so its been a week or more since ive posted any updates... time and weather just hasnt been on my side to be able to get out there and work on the boat.. but today i managed to get a few hours in. i felt like i worked my butt of, and felt like i got alot done. then i cleaned up and got another look at it and was like "thats all i got done?" haha oh well. removing this foam is no fun at all. especially getting smacked in the face with a piece that is waterlogged and it splats all over you. im a little concerned seeing as the hull will already flex a good bit just with foam removal, so supporting the hull will be done VERY soon. my mind is continuously blown at how rotted out the stringers are. well i guess i should say lack of stringer. its literally foam and fiberglass. anyway, progression was made and it actually makes me feel like im getting somewhere now. in one of the pictures you can see right through where the stringer and fiberglass is supposed to be, and its simply just gone.

Attachments

• photo307190.jpg
    photo307190.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo307191.jpg
    photo307191.jpg
    907 KB · Views: 3
  • photo307192.jpg
    photo307192.jpg
    932.3 KB · Views: 3

oldrem

Commander
Any progress is good progress. I think we've all had long periods where we felt like we were spinning wheels and barely going anywhere - then suddenly it all starts taking shape. Just have to keep thinking how much better than an original factory boat it will be when done.

so i havent been able to work on the boat since my last post. weather has been horrible, ive worked 7 days a week here lately, and the house just keeps taking any spare time i have to do repairs to it... but in the mean time, i messaged a guy about getting some captains chairs out of a boat he has. he told me $80 for both. i figured that wasnt bad. but i waited a few more days and then got a message from him saying if i wanted them, i can have the whole boat for free if i just get it out of his yard. so seems i lucked up. anyway, its a 89 dynasty with omc 4.3l. does anyone know anyone looking for any omc parts? going to pull the motor, out drive, seats, and any other parts i think are salvageable. also, forecast says good weather this weekend, so planning to get out early Saturday morning and get alot done.