X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the look and style I’m going for

Comment

Originally posted by ryantrammell1 View Post

I plan to build a sun pad on the back with bench and captain seats.
      This is likely WAY too soon to ask, but... Have you given any thought on how to fabricate your sun pad? I've fairly-much finished all structural work on my Sea Ray, but am just plain-old stuck on how to build my sunpad, without it weighing a ton.

My 1984 Sea Ray Seville project boat

Comment

Originally posted by Panoguy View Post
        This is likely WAY too soon to ask, but... Have you given any thought on how to fabricate your sun pad? I've fairly-much finished all structural work on my Sea Ray, but am just plain-old stuck on how to build my sunpad, without it weighing a ton.
        Actually yes I have. And I’ve seen others as well in other boats. So mine had a mini sun pad already I guess you could call it... where the Bimini top was stored. It had two supports made out of 1/2 ply that ran vertical ways beside the motor. As well as one that ran horizontal across the boat that gave access to the battery and trim motor. I’m pretty much mimicking them, just farther up to support the pad. Also the brace I had over top of the motor that gave access to the battery and trim motor, I’m reinforcing it and moving it to the front of the motor. That will be the backing for the bench in front of the subpad. Then simply build a bench in front of it. The sunpad will be made out of 1/2 ply as well and of course covered with foam and vynil. I’m also going to put 2 shocks like you’d find for the hood of a car under it to help lift and hold it up. I have no drawings or measurements for it yet. But I will be sure to post more on that when I get to it. It will be a good ways away haha

Comment

Originally posted by Panoguy View Post
          i found this picture while i was looking at doing stringers and it gave me a good idea as to how im gonna do the supports for the sunpad and bench in my boat...
          Attached Files

Comment

I’m starting to get some ideas as well on a sundeck. It’s hard to start but once you get going it gets easier. I hate the starting myself . I always overthink things

1987 Bayliner Capri 1750 (Work In Progress)
            120 Mercruiser Engine S/N 2458751
            MC-1 Drive S/N 2463635

Bayliner Capri 1750 Bow Rider Rebuild My Way

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...s-to-do-it-too

Comment

If you look at my thread I just built my bench and sun deck from scratch because I had back to back seating originally. For the minor increase in weight my sun deck is 3/4 making supporting it not a big issue. My backboard of the seat is 1/2 with 1x2 for bracing. The boxes for the bench are all 1/2 and the only other 3/4 is the seat bases. The deck is supported by hinges at the back and along the edges there are supports. The entire front is supported by the seat back.

Comment

so its been a week or more since ive posted any updates... time and weather just hasnt been on my side to be able to get out there and work on the boat.. but today i managed to get a few hours in. i felt like i worked my butt of, and felt like i got alot done. then i cleaned up and got another look at it and was like "thats all i got done?" haha oh well. removing this foam is no fun at all. especially getting smacked in the face with a piece that is waterlogged and it splats all over you. im a little concerned seeing as the hull will already flex a good bit just with foam removal, so supporting the hull will be done VERY soon. my mind is continuously blown at how rotted out the stringers are. well i guess i should say lack of stringer. its literally foam and fiberglass. anyway, progression was made and it actually makes me feel like im getting somewhere now. in one of the pictures you can see right through where the stringer and fiberglass is supposed to be, and its simply just gone.

Comment

Any progress is good progress. I think we've all had long periods where we felt like we were spinning wheels and barely going anywhere - then suddenly it all starts taking shape. Just have to keep thinking how much better than an original factory boat it will be when done.
                  - Eric

Somers, WI

Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Comment

Working...
                  X