'89 Stryker Fish and Ski 17 foot Renovation

LBauer53

Cadet
So I'm a first time boat owner and have a (VERY ) basic working knowledge of carpentry and the like.
I started with a completely decrepit boat and a motor that didnt work. I now have a working motor so it's time to make the boat something my friends wont be afraid to board.

I've jumped in with both feet and am starting to regret ever taking this on just because nothing has gone the way I expected it would. I have part of the floor removed and am working on getting parts of the stringers out. Unfortunately I can't take them out completely because the consoles, bow deck, and back seats can't be removed.

Attachments

• photo305920.jpg
    photo305920.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard !
Why cant you take the console Seats and deck out ?

LBauer53

Cadet
It seems to be all integrated together like a cap or something. Everything is like one big piece from bow to stern.
I'll go take some more pictures tomorrow because the file sizes for the ones on my phone are too big to upload.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A lot of boats have the consoles and upper decks integrated into the top cap . Just takes a little more effort to remove .
‘It went on in one piece at the factory so it should come off in one piece .. You would need to slowly work around the top and figure out all the attachment areas . Get it to pop loose then get some friends to help lift it off and store it .. Or build a gantry over it to help lift straight up then pull the boat out from under ...

LBauer53

Cadet
Unfortunately, I'm just not going to take on that task. I know they go on in one piece (this one clearly seems to be like that) I just can't imagine taking on more at this point. I'm already worried I might have pushed my luck and bitten off more than I can chew.
I'm hoping that I can find a way to get the parts of the stringers out that sit right below the main walking area of the deck and the seats. Then ideally I can figure out how to replace those mid sections and put down a new floor.
After that some carpet and a little wiring work just to get the boat safer and more user friendly should get me where I need to be - hopefully by spring.

LBauer53

Cadet
Any suggestions for material to make stringers out of? And where to purchase said materials?

chevymaher

Commander
I got my materials at lowes. Most say make the stringers out of plywood. Exterior grade. ACX

I made them out of what they were originally. Regular ol pine It takes a while to find some without knots but they are there. If you look long enough. I ask when the new shipment came and went though the pallets as they came.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Unfortunately your plan is NOT a good one. The stringers are critical to the safety of the boat, and need to be replace in one piece and glassed to the hull. Partial patches will just not work. Cutting the top cap away from the hull is NOT all that bad and can be easily re-glassed once the below deck issues have been repaired.

LBauer53

Cadet
That's a shame. I actually began cutting away the stringers (albeit sections) that were most rotten looking and found them to be shockingly strong and intact at the bottoms of the stringers (both the wood and the fiberglass). Seeing that had changed my plan to just sister the areas of stringers that needed strengthening (like with floor or ceiling joists) and glass the entire thing to the hull. I found a resin-type of thing that looked like it would be good to use on the stringer sections I was exposing prior to glassing them back in. The resin sounded like it had good penetration and protection qualities.

I have less-than-zero info on this boat. I dont know what's original, what's the way it should be, what materials and methods were originally used, etc.

I cant even find info on "Stryker" boats Anywhere.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I understand your thought process but there's a good chance that the inaccessible areas have rot too. There's no way to know unless you can get to them. Have you core sampled the transom?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Use a 3/8" drill and bit. Put tape at the 1" mark on the bit and drill into the transom, ON THE INSIDE of the boat. Drill down low 2/3 times and then about 6" up. Check the shavings. If they are light colored and dry then it's probably fine. Use some 3M 5200 sealant to fill the holes and you're good to go. IF the shavings are dark and damp...then you'll probably need to replace the transom too. Boats of this vintage are notorious for "Full Gut" restorations. Lot's of examples here on the forum.

LBauer53

Cadet
Oh man, fingers crossed for a dry transom!
I'm just trying to do what I have to do to get a couple of years of enjoyment from this boat before getting something a little newer and with more space.