Wet sanding and compound

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i want so wet sand my boat in the near future to remove oxidation. I want to do it right and there's an awesome video on youtube to show you how it's done https://youtu.be/ZexSavaT4tY and when he is done wet sanding he uses 3M marine high gloss gelcoat compound 06025. Great stuff im sure and im not a cheapskate however this stuff is close to $100 for a gallon and i dont need that much and i cant find it in a smaller quanity. Any substations for this? I will buy it if i have to but i figured I'd check here first. After the buffing compound im going to use 3M 06064 polish. Its like $40 and i don't mind paying that for quality. Haven't decided on what wax to use at the end yet. Thanks for any input and i hope i dont start a debate lol!

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I see it at Noah's Marine in Canada for $79 per gallon but that looks to be the only size they sell. Not sure where you are but if I can get it for $79CDN you shouldn't have an issue finding it for $50 or less USD.

harringtondav

Commander
I finish with 3M Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish 39062. Before that I work my way up with Mirka Abralon ffoam backed discs ending at 2000 grit, then wet hand sand with Meguires Unigrit 3000 which leaves a nearly good-to-go gloss. No buffing compound needed. Just the Perfect-It. I finish with a hand application and buff off of Liquid Glass polish.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use 330, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 wet sanding paper then Mequires polishing compound on a harbor freight variable speed polisher followed up with marine wax

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been pleased with Aqua-buff products, which can be had in quarts from many places - I paid something like $23 for a quart, which is more than enough to polish my 19-ft CC (that hasn't seen polish since 1984).

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use 330, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 wet sanding paper then Mequires polishing compound on a harbor freight variable speed polisher followed up with marine wax

I might give the meguires a shot. I certainly can't trust myself with 330 lol or 600 for that matter. I think i will start witb 1000 and go from there

zool

Captain
Im a fan of 3m products but lately I find myself just using mequires105/205 combo with a wheel and then fleet wax....its inexpensive and very effective.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I watched the video and while he does a nice refinish job, you realize how much elbow grease that is going to take on an entire boat?

Yes, if your finish is merely dull, you can recover it without getting to the metal flake materiel. But it still is a lot of work. Wet sanding actually goes pretty fast and you don't dwell on any one spot for very long. And progressive finer grits IS the way to go.

You can either use a spray bottle to keep it wet, or leave a hose running real slow to wash off the materiel as you sand. And remember, you are sanding to remove the faded material and not to try and flatten any section out. That should have been done at the factory long before you bought the boat. JMHO

chevymaher

Commander
It took me a week a side on my color stripe. I used a sponge to keep it wet. sanded with a sponge sanding block.

Sand a little use a rubber squeegie on it. it will dry evenly to the dull color when it is ready for the next lighter paper.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
go to the garden center, get a soaker hose, used duct tape to adhere it to the tops of the gunwale or the rub rail. hook up the water..... then wearing flip-flops and shorts....use a block and wet sand paper or a pneumatic DA..... and go nuts.

the soaker hose does wonders for keeping the side of the boat wet.

jkust

Rear Admiral
My only advice here is to pay attention to the sanding block you use to back the sandpaper. Make sure it isn't soft. Also, last time I did this to a boat, I had a heck of a time finding ultra high grit sandpaper anywhere. I ended up finding it at Harbor Freight.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
most automotive paint stores have it in stock

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not trying to flatten any high spots and theres going to be a few imperfections i understand. Im not going to dwel on every chip and scratch (or gouge in some cases) the boat is 30 years old 1988 checkmate. There is definitely some oxidation but it's not bad especially for a red boat. I have never wet sanded before and being up north right now all i have is time to try it. But must be in a garage thus no hose. Just a spray bottle. Going to go with the meguires 105/ 205 combo i think. I hear a lot of good things. Here arw a couple of good photos on what I'm working with. Couple of these were taken RIGHT after i washed it.

Attachments

• photo305879.jpg
    photo305879.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305880.jpg
    photo305880.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305881.jpg
    photo305881.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not trying to flatten any high spots and theres going to be a few imperfections i understand. Im not going to dwel on every chip and scratch (or gouge in some cases) the boat is 30 years old 1988 checkmate. There is definitely some oxidation but it's not bad especially for a red boat. I have never wet sanded before and being up north right now all i have is time to try it. But must be in a garage thus no hose. Just a spray bottle. Going to go with the meguires 105/ 205 combo i think. I hear a lot of good things. Here arw a couple of good photos on what I'm working with. Couple of these were taken RIGHT after i washed it.

I can easily see a very nice polished outcome for that boat. Looks pretty good for the age indeed. Take some pictures along the way and post them. I think you are going to love the results you get as well... :thumb: