1978 Cobalt 19'

revkev5064

Recruit
I am working on rebuilding a 1978 Cobalt and found something that I think is odd. The floor is in terrible condition and 4" holes have been drilled right into the compartments that contain the flotation foam. They were put there to mount the seats. In addition, the foam that is on the inside of the hull is about an inch thick and then glassed over - right over the foam. The 1" foam runs from the back of the boat up into the bow. Is that normal? Is that something that Cobalt did or is it possible that someone has redone this boat already? I was able to pull the fiberglass off the floor and sides in sheets.

I will post some pictures later but wondering if anyone else has run into what seems like very bad glass work.

alldodge

Staff member
The 1" foam runs from the back of the boat up into the bow. Is that normal? Is that something that Cobalt did or is it possible that someone has redone this boat already?

Foam in the hull is normal and many manufactures use this method.

revkev5064

Recruit
I just went back and read my post and it wasn't real clear. Just want to clarify that the foam I am talking about is along the sides of the hull - and runs up into the V of the bow, almost like it was 1" thick by 24" strip of foam glued to the sides of the hull. Is that how it is done? I am not real sure how I am going to replace that.

alldodge

Staff member
Haven't seen/heard about that before, maybe someone else has

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like it was used as a coring material to strengthen the hull... odd on a 19' boat tho as that's usually done on much larger boats to stiffen the long spans of the fiberglass in the hull...
If you grind down the glass over the foam, does the color match the glass elsewhere on the boat?

zool

Captain
Its a sound deadening core to quiet the ride.....and satisfy USCG flotation regs