Replace section of floor?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And someone earlier mentioned my idea of using duradek on the floor. I was only thinking this because I fish on the boat and when guts and blood gets on the deck I want it to be relatively easy to clean. Im open to other ideas. It had carpet before but I don’t want to go back to that.

look at nautolex or marideck. you can even do Line-X XS-650

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
These folks are right about stringers etc etc

but l'm just replacing a small section of floor that has rotted out from rainwater sitting in a couple of spots while the boat sat idle for years on a empty block,

23 ft cabin cruiser,
12mm tongue and groove unused flooring from a different project then glassed in,

l'd expect that to last a few years before the owners ( my sons ) want a full reno....and by then my knees really will have flown the coop

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These folks are right about stringers etc etc

but l'm just replacing a small section of floor that has rotted out from rainwater sitting in a couple of spots while the boat sat idle for years on a empty block,

23 ft cabin cruiser,
12mm tongue and groove unused flooring from a different project then glassed in,

l'd expect that to last a few years before the owners ( my sons ) want a full reno....and by then my knees really will have flown the coop

Are you grinding down the fiberglass or the rest of the floor to wood or are you glassing right over it?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So you’d recommend a vinyl rather than doing some sort of paint?

many of the hard-core fishing folk on here like nautolex as a covering. you still have to gel or paint over your fiberglass repair

I myself would do a line-x treatment on a serious fishing boat. https://sarasotalinex.com/category/marine-coatings/ Line-X developed their Marine coatings down here on fishing boats.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Soo a little slow here.. Are you pulling the whole deck or not? If not I would not recommend any deck material whereas its a waste of time and money. Keeping it or not. JMHO. Rot starts from the bottom up. Water is a fun foe.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Are you grinding down the fiberglass or the rest of the floor to wood or are you glassing right over it?

The plans for this spot have changed... apparently,

now going to neaten the edges up and put inspection hatches in,
so will only glass in both ends

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
many of the hard-core fishing folk on here like nautolex as a covering. you still have to gel or paint over your fiberglass repair

I myself would do a line-x treatment on a serious fishing boat. https://sarasotalinex.com/category/marine-coatings/ Line-X developed their Marine coatings down here on fishing boats.

Good morning Scott,

its not going to be a serious fishing boat, mostly a ski boat but we do occasional fishing on it. The line-x treatment looks really good, but can I do that myself or I have to bring it to the company to have them do it?

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Soo a little slow here.. Are you pulling the whole deck or not? If not I would not recommend any deck material whereas its a waste of time and money. Keeping it or not. JMHO. Rot starts from the bottom up. Water is a fun foe.

I plan on pulling the entire deck, 99% sure of it. I’m already in there I don’t see why not. It’s either going to be full deck or trash the boat and start new 😂. Already started gathering materials though

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Good morning Scott,

its not going to be a serious fishing boat, mostly a ski boat but we do occasional fishing on it. The line-x treatment looks really good, but can I do that myself or I have to bring it to the company to have them do it?

Line-X must be brought in to a dealer. its professionally sprayed (heated, catalyzed, etc.)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
look at u-pol's raptor liner if you want to DIY. you can get it in dove grey or white.

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I’m going to go with Line-X. An update as to where I am. I pulled out the entire floor and most of the plywood was in decent shape but there was some rot on the port side of the stern and around the ski locker. There is still about 2” of the old floor around the edge of the boat that I haven’t gotten out yet. The foam is dry and looks good. I haven’t tested the transom yet. I’ve read some things about leaving the 2” of old floor around the border and wanted some opinions on that. Is it just laziness or is it a good idea?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
that is so you have a mark to trim your stringers to, then you remove it when you put your floor back in.

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
that is so you have a mark to trim your stringers to, then you remove it when you put your floor back in.

Thanks Scott, makes sense. This is the type of thing am wondering about though cause I’ve seen it in a few places

Attachments

• 3A2582FF-C89C-40A1-BA5C-BBE92B3DD3A6.jpeg
    3A2582FF-C89C-40A1-BA5C-BBE92B3DD3A6.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
what are you wondering about?

you cut the floor about 3-4" from the edges to do two things.

#1, so you dont cut thru the hull, since you are cutting blind with tools of destruction
#2, that little remnant of original floor gives you a reference point to make string lines to trim off your new stringers

you will end up carefully removing the bit remaining once you are done with tabbing in the new stringers, then you tab in the new floor, re-foam, fiberglass the whole deck and finish the floor in the finish of your choice.

go to the DIY sticky at the top of the forum, go thru link 14 in its entirety and watch all the videos

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Will definitely go through that sticky. What I was referring to above was people saying they leave that remaining few inches of old floor and use it as an extra support for their new floor rather than taking it out. Seems like they glass right over it. To me it seems like someone is cutting corners but I wasn’t sure

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
No... they sometimes leave the edge so they have a point to match up to not go over top of. If the wood is shot you can't use it. You will need to mark it out, easy enough. That will definitely be one of your needed points of reference.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
a properly prepared hull will have all the rotten wood and foam removed, the stringers cut flush with the hull and a layer or two of fiberglass ground away so you can start anew