Decal Removal

firstpft

Cadet
what is the easiest way to remove a LARGE decal from my fiberglass boat. The one on my transom measures 30” x 60”. Using a heat gun and a scrapper seems like it would take forever. Any quicker ways?

chevymaher

Commander
No easy ways. Sharpen a stiff bondo spreader and WD40 on the decal. The wd will break the glue down. Sharpen the edge of the spreader periodically with a piece of 400 glue sandpaper stuck on a flat surface.

harringtondav

Commander
It's a pain, and it depends on the graphic you're removing. I avoid razor scrapers, even after heat. The will scratch and gouge your fiber glass, unless you have surgeon's hands. Heat and careful lifting with a scraper under a starting corner, then lift and continue to heat. Gloves are a must. The vinyl gets very hot.

The link shows a tool that available from 3M and elsewhere. I haven't tried this, but it looks promising. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkICZi-27iY

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Once you start a edge use the heat gun and let the gun heat the glue. Most people make the mistake of trying to keep pulling the graphic and tear it and it's down hill from there. The trick is the right amount of time with the heat gun to release the glue but not melt/tear the graphic

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
get yourself an eraser wheel, available at most bodyshop supply houses. put it in a drill and erase it right off. It will not hurt thr gelcoat or paint

bjf66

Chief Petty Officer
Firstpft
actually I was asking same question a few months ago as wanted to take some paint stenciing a stickers off hull

I read some where that Oven cleaner was the go
Originally thought this was a joke
However the stuff came off
As I was in process of having to remove the paint and stenciling from the other side of boat, thought I would post a few pictures of how the ease off oven cleaner worked

this was removing paint from Gelcoat
Ist pass
sprayed on ease off, left for 25-30min
used putty knife/scraper, not sharp (non-razor blade), took the majority off after 10min cleaning

2nd pass
sprayed on ease off, left for another 25min
used putty knife to clean up remaining paint, and then handy towels to clean side of boat

needs going over with acetone and 1200 grit wet/dry, however majority of paint now off,

the sanding/polishing will take care of the shadow effect that is left, followed by polish

hope this helps

Attachments

• photo305543.jpg
    photo305543.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305544.jpg
    photo305544.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305545.jpg
    photo305545.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305546.jpg
    photo305546.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1

Brien S

Seaman
I've heard the rubber decal eraser wheel work extremely good, but not the solid kind.