CSM with epoxy resin?

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay so im going to make a PB and i have a sheet of CSM that I'm planning to cut up and add to the mixture (total boat epoxy resin) along with fumed silica for a thickener. Is this okay? If not what would be a good alternative to the CSM? Im going to fill in gouges in my keel. Dont care about paint because a keel shild will be installed at a later date. Thanks in advance

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I would think because your using epoxy just the silica should do ..if it’s just scratches

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe epoxy will not disolve the styrene to "unbind" the CSM. but it may work ok anyway
I should rather buy some chopped fiber like 1/4" long. this is only to add strength.

if you are filling some samll void, only thickened resin (with fumed silica) should do the job.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Little more than just scratches, one spot you can see/ feel the fiberglass mesh. No voilds bigger than about the size of a dime though. So will the thickened epoxy alone do it then? I know the epoxy is stronger than the fiberglass so if i sand the work area so the epoxy will bond... should be no problem right?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
My recommendation would be to use some 8 oz fabric and pull some fibers from it and then cut them into 1/2" lengths and mix them with the silica and epoxy to add some strength to the mix. CSM will NOT add much to the mix .