considering painting

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
I've got an older rig that could use a facelift and I'm just not sure I'm ready to take the plunge. This I/O has all sorts of small holes here and there from the previous owner that I've patched with Marine Tex and sanded smooth. None of which are below the water line. Is it advisable to paint gelcoat and what would be some product recommendations. I've got some experience painting automotive so I'm thinking the work won't be that different. Perhaps some prep will be but I'm not sure. This would be done in my garage during this winter. Ambient temperatures would vary but not be much above about 55. Which poses issues for drying properly. I could heat the space somewhat or even just get all the prep done and then spray in the spring. What do you folks think?
Jcris

chevymaher

Commander
Use a primer needle in a HVLP gun. I have to ask my brother what the thinning stuff is. It isn't thinner or reducer tho. It is special stuff for gel coat. Laquer thinner to clean the gun tho. And do it quickly. Mix spray clean in the time allotted. Then do a second batch. Once it sets up throw the gun away.

But we both are auto painters we both tried our hand at gel coat. It is easy comes out looking great and a lot more forgiving of mistakes than paint. It is glass you can fix a run with a grinder practically. And you practically got to try to make it run.

His new boat had a few nasty dock rash places in it. They are gone now you can't find them.