We call it liquid nails down under

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
I have seen you guys recommend using PU glue to glue down your stringers, here in Australia we call it "liquid nails" but we do have a special polyurethane construction adhesive, is this stuff ok to use on a 18ft boat or 5.7 meters?

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the us liquid nail is a brand, so is PL. There all just construction adhesive. What ever brand you buy you want it to be polyurethane based and water proof when dry.

Brien S

Seaman
Liquid Nails is a name brand. They make a Poly adhesive, and that is what I would use vs the std construction adhesive. I would imagine that any poly adhesive will be alright. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Its for a 18 foot Flareform i think u guys call the boat in the USA over here in Australia we call the boat a 18 foot Caribbean

jbcurt00

Staff member
No, WHERE on the boat do you intend to use it.

Sealing thru hulls fittings/brackets? There are better choices...

Laminating stringers/transom/bulkheads to get correct thickness? There are better choices....

Attaching stringers/transom/bulkheads on to a fiberglass hull before tabbing? There are better choices....

^^^ notice the trend? ^^^

Can it be used for those purposes, I suppose all but the 1st, for thru hulls you really should choose something else. Stateside, 3M 4200/5200 is used fairly frequently, and there are other choices too

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Was going to use it for gluing down stringers and bulk heads plus fillet those too

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wouldnt, knowing what I do now. In the past I had argued for using it as you describe. But no longer recommend LiqNails use.

Thickened polyester resin (PB~ peanut butter) is a much better choice, you'll need it anyway to tab the stringers to the hull AND it wont hold you up waiting for it to off gas

LiqNail, esp in thick(ish) runs under a stringer or as fillets, could take a long time to fully off gas and cure. Until it cures, you dont want to tab over it w resin and glass.

How do you know its not still off gassing? When the resin and glass you put over it doesnt bubble up and fail to adhere to it..... Sort of a wide range of cure times... temps, humidity, exact build thickness, air flow in general, etc, can all effect it.

if you use polyester resin PB, you can fillet the stringers and move on to tabbing them quickly, in a very short period of time. In some cases applying new poly resin and glass wet on wet before a previous layup is fully cured, particularly helpful reason to use unwaxed polyester resin.

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Jbcurt links not working mate

i used all epoxy for my transom but i was looking for a easier option of applying the glue and new empty calking tubes are pretty mum non existing in Australia to import a small amount from the USA cost $50 in delivery only as i looked at using a 2 part 50/50% epoxy adhesive but i suck at bagging the glue

jbcurt00

Staff member
Copied in its entirety:
My Recommendations on how to fabricate Decks, Stringers and Transoms. These drawings are based on my experiences and the vast amount of information I have gleaned from all the Pros and Skilled Amateurs and their projects here on the Forum. These are NOT set in stone, only Recommendations. It's your boat, so you can and should do as you see fit.

Revised 1/22/2018

Decks - Marine Plywood IS the best and the most expensive. A very good alternative is the new Aruaco Plywood is Really Good stuff. I recommend it now for Deck, Stringers and Transoms unless you want to pay the extra. My opinion is if the glass layup is done correctly and Proper care and maintenance is done the Arauco will last many decades. Another good alternative is MDO.

http://www.pacificwoodlaminates.com/...ywoodGuide.pdf

Best way to remove the deck is to use a Circular saw set to about 1/16" less than the thickness of your decking material and cut around the edge. then cut multiple cross cuts to cut the deck into sections and then use pry bars and chisels to lift each section out. Then use a 4 1/2" grinder with 24/ 36 grit resin coated sanding discs and a rubber backup pad to grind the lip off the hull sides.Once the old deck remnants have all been removed and the Gringing/Sanding is done you’re ready to replace the deck. ***Make absolute CERTAIN that the Hull is in the exact same shape as it was when you took the original measurements!!! If it isn’t you’ll have issues getting the cap back on IF you removed it.
First order of business is to fill any voids in the surface and on the edges with wood filler. If you don’t you’ll get air pockets when you lay down the CSM. Pre-coat the plywood with Resin Paying close attention to the edges. Once this first coat has started to tack up, Check for any dry spots and re-coat. Next roll another thin layer of resin on the bottom of the deck ply and then Lay down a single layer of 1.5 oz CSM. Add additional resin as Needed to wet it out and get it to lay down smooth and clear. Check for air pockets and use a razor blade to cut the area of the mat and roll it out flat. A bubble buster roller comes in handy for this. If you start in the middle and roll to the edges it’ll help to NOT have air pockets. Once it’s all flat and clear, the bottom is DONE!! Once it’s dry enuf (will take from 30 mins to and hour or more depending on the temps), Flip it over and do the Same Process to the Top. Remember you should not be using resin and glass when temps are below 60 degrees. There are methods to work around the temp barrier so PM me if you need guidance with that.
Now you’re ready for the finish coat. If you’re using carpet or vinyl, I’d just lay down one more layer of CSM and you’re good to go. If your Gelcoating or Painting, I’d lay down a Layer of 1708 or Woven Roving and then Gel over that. You may get a bit of Bleed thru on the weave of the Glass but…That can be a good thing if you want a bit of texture on the deck. If you want it smooth…Lay an additional layer of CSM over the Fabric or Roving. Make sure that you fillet the edges where the deck meets the hull sides and use 8” strips of 1708 to tie the deck to the sides of the Hull. This method should yield a strong, Watertight deck that with proper maintenance, will last for decades. One more note, When attaching the ply to the stringers, make sure to Cleat the edges and pre-drill/countersink all the holes and fill em with resin as well as coat all the screws. Common Deck screws are fine for this.

REVISED 03/11/2014

EPOXY RESIN

Epoxy requires NO CSM (Chopped Strand Mat)! For added structural support for your deck and to attach it to the sides of the hull I'd recommend using 6-8 oz fabric extending 6-8 inches up the sides of the hull. 1 or 2 layers is sufficient. You could also use 1708 Bixial Fabric for the Tabbing. The Resin and Cloth/Fabric is all that's required. Any gaps can be filled with PB just like Poly. You can use various products to thicken Epoxy for filleting. One of the best is Micro Ballons. You Can gelcoat over SOME epoxies, but generally speaking it's not advisable. Epoxy has no UV protection so it must be coated with some kind of UV protectant, either Marine Varnish (to keep the Natural Wood Look, or Paint to protect it from the sun if it will be exposed to the sun), carpet...Something must cover it. It does have a bit more FLEX to it, it's a bit stronger of a Glue, and offers a bit more water resistance. It's also a bit more pricey than Polyester Resin. It can take up to 12 hours to cure. (poly will tack up in as little time as 25 mins.)

POLYESTER RESINStringers-Updated 03/11/2014:

Epoxy Resin

If you choose to use Epoxy for your Stringers, then you'll only need to use Fabric or Cloth to cover them.
2 layers of 17oz cloth will be adequate. The drawing is basically the same just won't use CSM or 1708. Layup will be a bit more difficult due to the fact that Epoxy cures at a much slower rate than Poly and is a bit more "Runny" so it will have a tendency to want to run off the side of the stringer and Pool at the bottom. You'll need to Babysit it and keep pulling it back up onto the surface of the cloth until it begins to tack up a bit.

Polyester Resin

FILLETING: Once you have your PB mixed, dump it in a Ziploc bag, cut off a corner then use it like a pastry bag to squeeze the pb along the edge where you are filleting. About a 3/4" cut is all you need. Then use a large plastic spoon dipped in Mineral spirits to form the cove. Being neat here will save on sanding later prior to laying the CSM and 1708.

***NOTE*** For I/O motor mounts, It's normally recommended to double the layup. i.e.4 layers of 1708. Again, I always recommend laying the 1708 with the CSM layer facing down so the Styrene in the resin can dissolve it and create a stronger bond. CSM offers very little strength to the layup. It's just a binder. For Strength you need fabric and multiple layers of Glass Fabric. This is what's needed for motor mounts where most of the weight is. The stringer that runs parallel to the mounts and sometimes attached to the mount gets the normal layup.

Transoms (updated 06/28/2016):

Epoxy

When using Epoxy for your transom it's basically the same as for Stringers. You'll use 17 oz Cloth instead of 1708 Biaxial and NO CSM! You could also use a couple of layers of 8.5oz glass. With epoxy lighter weight glass and multiple layers is sometimes a better method to build bulk and strengthPolyester Resin

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1018.photobucket.com\/albums\/af303\/WoodOnGlass\/Transomwithholes.jpg"**[/IMG2]

Note: When using screws as clamps, it's best to predrill the holes a bit oversiized on one piece of the transom. This keeps the piece from catching the screw threads and allows the other piece to be drawn up tight against the pre-drilled piece.

Pics of clamps I recommend for clamping an Outboard Style Transom when the top cap of the boat has been removed. I modified the construction of them just a bit using bolts instead of all thread. Takes a bit longer to build em but I like em better. Doing it this way I can use my 3/8" air drive ratchet to tighten em down which make is a lot faster to clamp em down. You need to be as fast as possible when you are using that much PB. Don't want it to set up on you before you get it clamped in place. Speed is of the essence!!!!:D

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1018.photobucket.com\/albums\/af303\/WoodOnGlass\/Clamps.jpg"**[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1018.photobucket.com\/albums\/af303\/WoodOnGlass\/transomClamps.jpg"**[/IMG2]

FINISHING UP THE TRANSOM INSTALL.

Note: To avoid any possibility of getting a "Waffling Effect" on the outer transom skin, It's recommended that you use a Plywood "Backer Pad" on the outside before applying the clamps.

Once the transom is clamped into the boat, All that's left is to form the fillets and lay the glass. During clamp up, If you elected to create the OOZE holes you'll need to be prepared to smooth out the PB as it oozes out of the holes as well as form the fillets from the ooze out around the edges of the transom. You'll probably need to have a bit extra PB to form the fillets. A large Plastic Spoon is a great tool for forming these fillets and a bondo spreader is great for cleaning up the fillets and knocking down the inevitable left over waste and nubs that will occur. The cleaner and smoother you can make these fillets now the less work you'll have later when it all cures. After everything cures in a couple of hours you can remove the clamps and check for any rough spots on the fillets and sand them smooth. Cut your first layer of 1708 glass so it will extend out onto the sides and bottom of the hull approx 4-5 inches. I like to use Masking tape to hold it in place along the top edge of the transom and hull sides while I fit it in place and make my cuts. You can then start applying resin. Once the first layer starts to "Kick" and harden You can prepare to do the next layer and have it extend out onto the hull approx. 8-10". and repeat the resin process. If you want a smoother appearance you can follow up with a layer of 1.5 oz CSM to Hide the weave of the 1708 fabric. The Transom installation is now complete.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Click the blue carot

>>

at the end of WoodOnGlass' user name in the quote, that'll take you to post I tried to link, and there should be several more pix that didnt show up in my copied quote above.....

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Instead of a caulking gun use either a ziploc bag with the corner cut out or go get what they use to decorate cakes with. Baggies work great and are cheap. Use and throw away

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Instead of a caulking gun use either a ziploc bag with the corner cut out or go get what they use to decorate cakes with. Baggies work great and are cheap. Use and throw away

I did this with my stringers & transom... it worked like a charm!! I'll agree with almost everyone above, using PB instead of liquid nails is by-far the better way to go. I built my stringers by using liquid nails to glue-together half-thickness pieces of plywood, staggering the seams. Overall, I wasn't happy with the result, and used PB-in-a-bag from then-on.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Being from the US Im not familiar with any of the brands, but any that are poly based are good. From there its just how much do you want to spend. I saw a first of the couple mention poly in the name. I wouldn't worry about it to much, your not getting the strength from the glue, The glue just gives you a solid foundation to fiberglass or epoxy too. The strength comes from the fillets and tabbing.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IF you are careful with the Poly Glue it would be possible to filet the stringers with thickened epoxy. Just curious why you want to use the glue instead of the recommended Thickend Epoxy for Everything??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, You can use plain epoxy and fine sawdust from you sander to make it, or even Cheap Old Baby Powder will do the trick.