Adding helm seats on top of existing leaning post

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2003 Proline 23 Sport and I am trying to add seats on top of the existing leaning post setup.My idea was to remove the worn out leaning post cushion and pout seats on top.The question i have is the current leaning post has curve downward in it facing the bow.Will the seats just bolt on top with a backer board underneath or do i need to modify the seat top to be flat vs the curve.Anyone else do this?

leaningpostedit.jpg

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
GA... thanks! I was thinking the same thing, I will have to cut off at least 3 to 4 inches and fabricate a top to place the seats on.Maybe i will just use the thickness of the bottom seat to gauge how high it should sit.

I really want to keep the existing since it has an integrated livewell.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Put something beside the seat you can put a new seat on top and gauge how much to lop off. Raise or lower the seat for a comfortable simulated steering height.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Have you considered having a backrest fabbed for the existing setup? Might have to install a footrest / bar also.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks ajgraz I would love to add a backrest however sitting on top of that leaning post cushion is just not comfortable and the steering wheel is like 6 inches lower so I have to lean forward just to steer the boat while in a seated position.

I am trying to do exactly what this guy did with Taco Marine seats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oktv_aHxKk0