16' mirrocraft full rebuild with big front casting deck

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well then I'd recommend locating all the soft spots, dig out all the soft wood that you can, and then fill all of them with some thickened epoxy.

fishrdan

Admiral
Since you have the boat torn down, I'd remove the transom to atleast check it's integrity. If it's solid, reattach with sealed fasteners, if rotted - replace. For what you're doing, the transom isn't a biggie.

Be careful raising the casting deck too high, as it will raise the center of gravity and can make the bow (casting deck) tippy. On my 14' jon boat, standing on the hull level deck is OK, but trying to stand on a seat 12" higher is a wish to go swimming. Weight, width, hull design all play into the boat's CG. The old heavy 16' trihull I had, you could walk on the gunnels...

Ok thanks guys. I'm gonna poke around back there some more this weekend and see how soft if at all it is. Appreciate the quick replies, I will keep updated photos.

So after further, in depth inspection there are 4 very small holes in the transom. All of them smaller than a screw head. I will patch these with the epoxy method mentioned above.
The transom sounds solid for about 95% of it. There is a small soft spot about 1 inch in diameter about 8-10 inches to the right of the motor.

paint is about 75% stripped. Gonna finish that this week then wash the boat inside and out extremely well. And start putting the flooring in.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pull the transom. the skin has corrosion holes in it, so there will be a fair bit of corrosion on the backside. that needs to be attended to prior to using epoxy. you have to kill the corrosion

by any chance did someone in the boats 32 year past replace the transom with green treated? that would account for the holes you are seeing. treated lumber and aluminum creates a really good battery that eats the aluminum

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Man i would buy or build a Boat Dolly instead of using that truck. It would be easier.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Boat Dolly.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.0 KB ID:	10689297

Just cut out some pieces to replace the rotted wood along the top of the rod locker shaped pieces. Planning on 2 or 3 coating all of the wood with this. Got this gallon for free. Left over from a job this summer.

Attachments

• photo306154.jpg
    photo306154.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Recent ice fishing trip on xmas eve with my girlfriend and I.

50 fish. 1 hole. Under 3 hours.
Drone footage about half way thru the video for about a minute.

oldrem

Commander
Nice! As cold as it was last month, we got a string of upper 30's temps, so no safe ice around here yet.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just cut out some pieces to replace the rotted wood along the top of the rod locker shaped pieces. Planning on 2 or 3 coating all of the wood with this. Got this gallon for free. Left over from a job this summer.

Your wood needs to be sealed with more than just paint! Paint is NOT a good protectant for wood in the Marine environment. Epoxy resin is the best, followed by some other various wood sealers. I like this one. After the sealant is applied THEN you can paint. I'd also recommend adding Some Arcylic Enamel Paint Hardener to increase durability and speed the drying process

Old Timers Wood Sealer.jpg

Attachments

• PaintHardener.jpg
    PaintHardener.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0