16' mirrocraft full rebuild with big front casting deck

Hey guys, new to the posting, but I have been browsing for quite a while now. I've also had my eye on a few other boating forums, and I think this one probably has the best "populous" for what I am looking to do.
Quick back story: Just bought this boat at the end of the summer here. Been fishing since I was a kid, and recently jumped full into it. Including making youtube videos, fishing tournaments, going on week long fishing trips, the whole works. All while using my very kind step fathers boat. Obviously he wasn't too keen on me using his boat more than him, and I started to want to be able to do mods to the boat, and we didn't see eye to eye on thing. So I bought this one.

It is a 1987 16' Mirrocraft Northport Troller. It came with a 1987 30HP Evinrude with electric start which seems to run great. I am by no means a mechanic, but there are no obvious problems with it.

I've got the entire boat gutted down to the metal, with the exception of the rod locker, and its counter part on the opposite side of the boat. Its the same shape as the rod locker, but the starboard side has no storage at all in it, it is just filled with foam. I plan on getting all of the foam out of both sides because it doesn't seem to be "closed cell" anymore, and I am afraid would water-log if it got wet. I''ll replace the foam with the 2 part poly pour foam.,
Ive got about 15% of the exterior of the boat stripped down to the metal. I'm going to strip the whole boat, and then prime and paint it. Exterior only I think.
Then I would like to put the same layout of the floor back in, just with new wood that I'll seal up really well with Oil based Enamel paint. Then carpet the floor obviously.
Next I am hoping to build a big front deck, that is about 4" below the gunwale, and starts at the bow, and travels back about 7 feet. I havent measured it yet, just focused on the gut and strip right now. The deck will have 3 storage compartments, 1 for two batteries, and the other for tackle, life jackets and the like.
It seems like a fairly easy build when I look at some of the projects on here compared to what I want to do to this boat, but like I said, this is my first time doing anything like this, and I am no mechanic.. lol.

I apologize, right now I dont have any pictures to post, but once I go back down to the storage unit it is in, I will be sure to take to some. And I'll try to draw out what I am envisioning.

Right now I don't have too many questions. Stripping and painting it is pretty easy for me to handle, but once the fabrication starts, I will have a lot of questions, so I just want to get the thread open, and reach out for any advice before I get too deep into this thing.

Thanks a lot guys and gals!

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome aboard 😉
sounds like you’re in the right place
sounds like a fun project.

I got some stripping done today. Came across what looks like some type of sealant between pieces. Is there anything I need to look for and be cautious of? The stuff I have gone over seems to be in pretty good shape, just figured I would check if there is something I should specifically be on the lookout for,

Attachments

• photo305215.jpg
    photo305215.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo305216.jpg
    photo305216.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo305217.jpg
    photo305217.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 2

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
don’t know about the sealeant, but curious about how you’re going to paint it, as i’m about to start my project, and am currently confused on painting aluminum.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I'm stripping it completely using Citristrip and a wire cup brush on my drill. Rinse it off. Sand with 3-400 grit. Spray a coat if self etching primer through my airless Graco sprayer. Still figuring out what I'm going to use for a top coat.

Heading back down to the storage unit today. Got off work a little early, so I'm gonna put some more time into stripping it. I'll take some pics and get them posted here so everyone can see what I'm working with, and hopefully drop some gems for me. Haha

oldrem

Commander
Citristrip was ok, but found Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper much more effective

Ok cool I'll check it out when I have some time Friday. Definitely is a chore doing it this way, and doesnt go fast by any means.
Same process? Apply product to substrate, let it "chew" for 30 mins+, then cup wire brush on drill?

zool

Captain
Aircraft stripper is the best, but its nasty stuff, protect yourself, and watch for leaching out of seams and rivets before painting....Its the only stuff i use ;)

oldrem

Commander
Works MUST faster too - don't think I needed to leave any on for more than 15-20 minutes

zool

Captain
How can I post photos from my phone?
keeps saying it's over the 2.0 file size. I dont know how to change the file size tho.

I email them to myself, and the email gives an option to resize them, I choose medium and it works fine, thats with gmail.

So I've got a couple photos attached here.
first I'd like to address the bolts that go through the hull of the boat. Looks like someone added them to hold on, what I will call "runners" because i dont know the correct term. But the rod locker type thing on each side of the boat. Not sure what the best course of action is to deal with them. Leave them in? Seal over them? I had the boat in the water probably 10 times since I've bought it, never a drop of water when i pull the plug so I dont think they are causing any damage. But maybe something preventative I can do?
I've got a similar problem on the stern from an old transducer mount. The mount is still there, held in place by 4 screws/bolts. Curious if theres a easy or suggested way to deal with them.

I plan on tracing and replacing the floor that was in there.
gut the foam in both runners, and replace with 2 part poly pour foam.
build a front deck that would go from the bow back about 2 feet into the runners. At the same height of the runners, so it all flows together. I'd like to have 3 spots for storage up there. And perhaps some type of foam in the un used area. Reserve buoyancy.
and I need some type of platform to attach a bow trolling motor mount.

anyone have any tips or suggestions on any of this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be slowly making progress all winter.

Attachments

• photo305412.jpg
    photo305412.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo305413.jpg
    photo305413.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo305414.jpg
    photo305414.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo305415.jpg
    photo305415.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo305416.jpg
    photo305416.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo305417.jpg
    photo305417.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 4
Found these small holes on the transom.
I want to start by saying I plan on having this boat two or three years. And I will be very happy with that.

the transom seems to be soft in some areas. And pretty solid in others. So I am hoping I don't get a unanimous response saying I need to replace it.

shy of replacing the transom, what are some viable options for fixing these?, they all are above the water line.

Attachments

• photo305553.jpg
    photo305553.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo305554.jpg
    photo305554.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
It's a 1987 30hp. Like I mentioned, i had it out quite a few times this past summer and I didnt notice any flexing or anything bad at all.