Rustoleum primer separated in can

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
so I grabbed 2 pints of Rusto’s marine top-side primer and either missed or forgot WOG’s advice to check the can at the store.
The cans had a brownish oil on the top and took a lot of stirring to get it to a consistent white. However there were tons of small lumps. I had to clean out my hlvp tips every 10 mins from clogs. And it took me a couple hours to scotchbrite off the dried lumps.
I put my first coat of paint on, which was lump free and I started wondering where the primer lumps came from. Then I re-read WOG’s paint post and understood.
Now my concern is if the primer is compromised in terms of durability or something? I’m painting the hull bottom, and if it’s a certainty that this primer will fail, I’d better deal with it now. That would be a huge PITA and flush lots of work and money, but it would only be worse if the paint started to flake off in a few months.

My guess is is that it’s ok, or there would be a decent amount of info on the fact online is it was that big of an issue. I opened the second can of primer and used a little bit of it, but I’m going to try and exchange it for a good can.
If that doesn’t work, I’m thinking I could strain it with a mesh filter or cheese cloth. That is if lumps are the only issue.

oldrem

Commander
It's always a good practice to use paint strainers for paint or primer when spraying. I buy the large packages of them at HF. Cheap insurance.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Always, always stir until you feel everything is mixed properly., especially scrapping from the bottom of the can. But then pour any primer and/or paint through a quality strainer/filter into the gun reservoir. Then you will never have lumps and/or dirt or bugs in the spray that could clog the tip. JMHO

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmmm sorry for your problems. I'm not optimistic about the success of your primer. I spent a lot of time on the phone with the lead tech for the primer and he said that once the components separated it was almost impossible for them to be re-mixed. I did my trailer with it and it did fail. I sanded it off and use the Clean Metal Primer from rustoleum and it's been on for 6 years with no issues. Straining before is an absolute must!!! I strain twice. Once at the beginning of the mix and then again when pouring into the gun cup. Nothing worse than having clogs!!!