1963 LoneStar El Dorado Restoration

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Watermann,

we didn't have a choice in the Coast Guard, so we got real good at it lol. As for the catalyst hardener, I will only use that on the final coat. I do things a bit weird; I roll on three or four good wet films, sanding between coats, then shoot the final coat with an hvlp gun. I like to wet everything around the boat down thoroughly prior to painting too. I find this controls a lot of the dust. If I had the space to shoot inside, I would, but I don't. Thankfully I live in Florida, so the paint skins up pretty fast.

I have found Naptha to be a great thinner for Enamel Alkyd, never, ever, use Mineral Spirits, or the paint will never dry. I like to roll the paint on with a foam roller and then follow behind each section with a dry foam roller. Kind of like rolling and tipping, only better in my opinion.

Oh yeah Naptha is the best reducer for that paint, I hate sanding with a passion so little as possible for me. I use the wet on wet method for chemical bonding, it makes for one long sticky day but it's all over with no sanding.

Lookin good and forward to the final coat results. :thumb:

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
So, I finally got the weather I needed to lay down the finish coat. I know this probably came as a surprise to some of you, but I never intended for the boat to be black like in the last photos. I used different colors of enamel alkyd to build up a good paint film, because I had stripped the boat to nothing. Yesterday, I sanded the last coat of enamel, washed the boat down, wiped her several times with denatured alcohol, then tack ragged her this morning. I shot her with a siphon feed HVLP type spray gun using Total Boat one part poly urethane. Now she is starting to look like the retro boat I am working for. Hope some of you will give me some feedback. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo310521.png
    photo310521.png
    562 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310522.png
    photo310522.png
    537.6 KB · Views: 2

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Much better ! You really don’t want a black metal boat in Florida ...LOL !

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Yea, black was never really going to happen. I thought I might get away with the enamel alkyd though, but working with it in this heat is just a pain in the butt! Glad I switched, I think the finish is night and day. Pleasantly surprised at the results using a harbor freight gun. It ain't a Devbliss by any stretch, but it shot very well.

Watermann

It doesn't get any better than that! Wow outside and with a HF gun to boot :lol:

That enamel paint with hardener is tough and don't be surprised if it takes way more time at the launch to get your boat in the water, guys will walk by 110 grand boats to check out your old tin boat. :thumb:

fetch

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Updated photos of my project.

I am trying to keep a retro look, but with a modern twist. So, I masked off all the seafoam green, shot the bottom with a finish coat of white, and eyeballed the stripe the way I thought I would like it. Turned out pretty good I think. I found a guy to make the Lonestar lettering in marine vinyl and placed it inside the striping aft. So far I am very happy with the overall look of her.

Today I am going to permanently mount the portlights, and shoot the final coat for the bow hatch. I had to do a bit of fiberglass work on the bow hatch, which was rather time consuming, but it came out great. Photos soon.

Attachments

• photo311193.jpg
    photo311193.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo311194.jpg
    photo311194.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo311195.jpg
    photo311195.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo311196.jpg
    photo311196.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

Super nice, imagine what you could do with a paint booth! :thumb:

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Super nice, imagine what you could do with a paint booth! :thumb:

Thanks Watermann, I did a lot of spray work in my Coast Guard Days. Mostly outdoors, but a few units had nice boat houses to work in. It would be really nice to have a spray booth, that's for sure. Really appreciating all the positive feedback, while this restore is a long and tedious journey, I have to say, the results so far have been worth it.

Yesterday I permanently mounted the portlights, they look FABULOUS!! Though I did forget how flippin' messy 5200 can be to work with if you aren't paying attention lol. Nothing some acetone couldn't clean up though. Rain in the forecast all day today, so guess I will do some housework lol. Tomorrow I start putting the interior back in order. I ordered all of my deck hardware and lighting, so that will arrive in a couple of days, anxious to mount the cleats and other stuff. It should really give her that finished look.

I am still debating whether to stick with the 115 Johnson Electramatic that was on her when I bought her. To me, this seems like a lot of motor for such a light hull, but I need to research it I suppose. I was leaning toward a 90 horsepower, but if I can get away with keeping the Johnson I just might.

I've been watching upholstery tutorials, that scares me to death hahaha. I have a good sewing machine, and some good ideas on how I want the seats and such to look. But that's weeks out. I will keep posting photos as I progress. Thanks again to all who have encouraged, I value your input.