1963 LoneStar El Dorado Restoration

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings, I found this website while researching information related to Lone Star Boats. I purchased a 1963 Lone Star El Dorado in August of this year with great anticipation of restoring her. As of today, I have all but stripped this vessel down to bare metal, should be completed today.

There are several minor issues as one would expect with such an old boat, but only a few of concern. As a retired Coast Guard Veteran, I have many years of experience working with metal boats, in regards to the cosmetic aspects. (never could get a grip on engines lol), so prepping the hull has been pretty routine. However, there are several loose (Spinning) rivets on the bottom that I would like to replace. Being new to riveting I am wondering if any of you have restored a similar vessel and if so, what size blind rivets should I use for replacement? I realize too, that I will probably get twenty responses telling me about the wonders of "Gluvit", and I know that it will have its place in this restoration. But, I would really like to do this properly so any input regarding rivet size and where to purchase them would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I have attached the photos correctly to give an idea of what I bought and where I am in the restoration process for your review. Thanks in advance, I look forward to sharing more soon.

Attachments

• photo305069.png
    photo305069.png
    584.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo305070.png
    photo305070.png
    567.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo305071.png
    photo305071.png
    425.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo305072.jpg
    photo305072.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • photo305073.jpg
    photo305073.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • photo305074.jpg
    photo305074.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 4
  • photo305075.jpg
    photo305075.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • photo305076.jpg
    photo305076.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • photo305077.jpg
    photo305077.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice boat you have there and good luck. the 2 fellows above mentioned will definitely set you in the right direction!:joyous:

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, and yes you are correct, not sure why I posted blind rivets. Really interested in length and diameter, hope to hear from him. In the mean time I will go check out the link you shared with me.

Yes, she is a nice boat, tons of character for sure. Only wish previous owners had not taken shortcuts and used crap materials on her in the past. Getting freaking carpet glue off of her has been my biggest nightmare lol. Add to that somebody's incessant need to drill holes and use crappy screws and it's been quite the hoot! Thankfully no serious electrolysis from dissimilar metals.

Today I am finishing cleaning up her bottom, nothing like dealing with Zinc Chromate dust! This is another thing that made no sense to me. The boat was always trailered, according to the past owner, so why Zinc Chromate? There was no bottom paint, seems to me a two part epoxy barrier coat would have done the trick. But I digress lol.

oldrem

Commander
Aluminum needs either a zinc chromate or self etching primer prior to a base primer or peeling is pretty much guaranteed

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Eric,

I respectfully disagree. As a retired Bosun, I worked with Aluminum and Steel vessels most of my life. Zinc Chromate does have exceptional adherence, but is generally put down prior to a bottom painting to deter electrolysis caused by the cuprous oxide (copper). Any good two part epoxy polyamide marine primer will have exceptional adherence so long as you properly prep the surface and wash with an etching solution. To boot, Zinc Chromate is a known carginogen and is becoming more and more difficult to obtain. I would agree with you, if this were going to be a boat that would sit in the water for season on end, but for a boat that will be trailered, I see no need to use it. That's just my opinion, but it is an opinion based on years of maintaining Coast Guard UTB's.

oldrem

Commander
Interesting. I think most of us use SEP anyway instead of ZC before base priming.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard :wave:

Nice LS, glad you saved the old gal and are going to restore her. Luke did a great job on his "Texas Tornado" and I look forward to seeing yours being brought back.

Yeah just be happy if that's ZC rather than alodine. :lol:

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
I wasn't trying to be rude, hope I didn't come off that way. I was just saying there are safer alternatives. The more than one way to skin a cat approach if you will. All of those years working with high VOC paints and solvents caused my disability. For many years I could barely hold a coffee cup without spilling the entire contents due to the neurological damage. Red Lead primer, Green Death Wash Primer, they gave that crap names for a reason apparently lol. We used to bathe in MEK lol!

oldrem

Commander
No offense taken. At almost 70, I'm still learning a lot every day. With all the chemicals I've dealt with without protection in my life I'm surprised to still be living and in decent health.

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, so let me throw this out there. I have all of the original badging, brochures, and goodies that came with this boat originally to draw from for her restoration. I'm struggling with whether to restore her to vintage, with some modern conveniences, or to do something similar to what the previous owner had. I kind of like having the steering outside of the cabin so that the cabin can be utilized for over-nighters. Opinions please.

Oh and I have a name for her.

Wait for it. Wait for it. " The AlumiNaughty". Already have the vinyl cut to lay down on her port and starboard sides upon completion lol.

oldrem

Commander
If the bimini will protect you sufficiently from weather, I'd leave the steering where it was. My old Carver had a hard top over the helm section.

yknotagain1.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If the bimini will protect you sufficiently from weather, I'd leave the steering where it was. My old Carver had a hard top over the helm section.

Eric,
That's a nice boat what happened to her? Bump, sorry..

oldrem

Commander
Eric,
That's a nice boat what happened to her? Bump, sorry..

The admiral and I loved it - spent many days on Lake Michigan fishing. Had her rigged with auto pilot tied to the GPS. Unfortunately the cost of mooring and winter storage got the best of us financially when business slumped and we had to give it up. That was a beast on the water and took heavy seas well. We used to laugh at the 40ft Bayliners and other light boats getting bounced around and turning back once they left the breakwater on rough days. We just plowed through it and went fishing. Lots of fond memories.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Having the helm more like my Chief would be a good idea, I can't imagine being inside a tin box in July or August not too mention the lack of visibility. Also the ride is better aft.

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
I've hit a snag in my restoration project

I have been working daily on the 1963 Lone Star El Dorado restoration and have made some good progress. That is until today lol. The two porthole/portlights on the bow were in terrible condition. And had to be removed because they are beyond repair. Now I am searching everywhere for a replacement with no success. The inside measurement is 8 3/4 inches wide by 3 3/4 inches high. Does anybody have a lead on somebody who can fabricate new ones? Or perhaps somebody that is already manufacturing them? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Love to help, as would others I'm sure, if we knew what exactly you are looking for. Pop up a few pictures of what you're dealing with and need, and see how that works out for you. JMHO!