1963 LoneStar El Dorado Restoration

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah, some pics would be good. I have some out of a sailboat, they need cleaning up and paint. Don't think they are that small though.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The portholes are a unique feature of some Lone Star models. Are the "beyond repair" parts the frames, the clear glass/plexi or both?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Snooky's resto thread - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa.../10684119-1963-lonestar-el-dorado-restoration has some pics showing the portholes.

fetch

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all of the responses. I will try to get some pics today. The frames were in terrible condition, one of the lenses was shattered. They were tempered glass, not plexi. I had to drill them out as they were so stuck from caulking, more caulking, and then apparently more caulking, that when I finally removed them it was evident they could not be repaired. I will also draw a diagram if that would help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I checked out your refurbishing thread and I am assuming you are talking about the oval windows in the front bow area. Still would be great to see what you are dealing with since you stated they can't be repaired. Post what you removed and let's see what we can come up with. You just never know...

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
I checked out your refurbishing thread and I am assuming you are talking about the oval windows in the front bow area. Still would be great to see what you are dealing with since you stated they can't be repaired. Post what you removed and let's see what we can come up with. You just never know...

GM280, thanks for your interest. The two bow portlights are exactly what I am referring to. It was apparent that somebody in the past had tried to affect repairs on them, but they had been sealed shut and painted over. Both lenses were cracked, the hinges were shot, and the frames were bent out of shape. I am going to attempt to create new frames using aluminum plate and replace the lenses with lexan. The other option would be to cut out the holes to fit newer portlights, but I really didn't want to make any major changes to her, and never like to cut up a boat. I will be posting photos soon, just been very busy. On a lighter note, I have everything on the exterior hull above the waterline primed now and will be focusing on rivets on the bottom today.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM280, thanks for your interest. The two bow portlights are exactly what I am referring to. It was apparent that somebody in the past had tried to affect repairs on them, but they had been sealed shut and painted over. Both lenses were cracked, the hinges were shot, and the frames were bent out of shape. I am going to attempt to create new frames using aluminum plate and replace the lenses with lexan. The other option would be to cut out the holes to fit newer portlights, but I really didn't want to make any major changes to her, and never like to cut up a boat. I will be posting photos soon, just been very busy. On a lighter note, I have everything on the exterior hull above the waterline primed now and will be focusing on rivets on the bottom today.

I am assuming the window edges/frames are made from aluminum. You could find some straight channel aluminum to start with and slowly bend them to make the oval window frames. And then install the Lexan and reseal them again. Also, check with a local window manufacturing company and see if they could help you with the frames. Never know they could even bend some for you. Just a thought...

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
You are pretty much on the same page as I am at this point. I have contacted a local metal fabricator to assist me. I will post photos when the project begins.

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
When it rains, it pours!

So, I promised some more photos of the restore of my 1963 LoneStar El Dorado. Every time I think I am making progress something new and ugly pops up lol. As I stated in my last post, I have to replace both portlights. They were completely mangled. I made nice repairs to both openings though, very clean and now ready for the replacements once they are made. I decided to have them fabricated and replace the broken lenses with lexan. I will keep you posted on the progress.

At the moment I am working on the interior bow as that is all I have left to clean up before I start setting damaged rivets. I noticed that the previous owner had used a piece of " 2 x 4 " as a backer for the bow eye that connects to the winch strap!!! Not even Pressure Treated wood!!! They had put enough silicone between the wood and the hull to seal an aircraft carrier. Knowing this was a bad idea, I removed the wood and the bow eye, only to find three GAPING HOLES!! Ugggg, it never ends. Oh well time to contact a professional for this, I will send more photos when it's fixed.

Attachments

• photo306886.jpg
    photo306886.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • photo306887.jpg
    photo306887.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • photo306888.jpg
    photo306888.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • photo306889.jpg
    photo306889.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • photo306890.jpg
    photo306890.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
Never use pressure treated wood in an alumimum boat. Its corrosive to aluminum, so be glad the prior owner didnt use PT.

Also, most silicon based caulks use acetate to cure, so they shouldnt be used on an aluminum boat. The acetate etches the alumlnum.

Sometimes its easier for members to help when a project is kept all in 1 topic instead of spread across mulitple topics. Esp when you start a new topic then reference a discussion from another topic (ie the porthole windows you mention in this topic) and dont provide a link to the prior topic. Members have to hunt and search for it if they werent part of the prior discussion......

the original bow eye was probably damaged and or pulled thru the hull when there was too much strain created while winching. So covered and replaced, however poorly

good luck w the rest of your resto project

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea I agree 100% with jbcurt00. I thought this was the same boat in another thread. Once you start a thread about your boat, just continue on with that thread for any other boat issues and questions. Then we know everything about that boat from the previous questions and pictures. Even if the subject is about a new issue with the same boat. JMHO

Looks like teh eye bolt area is going to take some new materials to "patch" that hole up and give you some serious support again.

I would approach that problem with one of two ways. First I would either grind down the rivet heads flush with the keel metal and install a new keel section on top of that area, OR I would cut the keel guard section out completely in that damaged area and install a new metal section to replace that section. JMHO

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, I got the message. LOL. I am new to this forum stuff, so I will find the old post and just add to that one in the future. Sorry for any confusion I caused. I agree with everything you have stated in regards to the repair, and will be meeting with a pro this afternoon. Thanks.

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There's a place in Sarasota, FL that I believe I saw portlights similar to yours. I know they have mine but mine are different. PM me for info.

oldrem

Commander
If you contact one of the mods they should be able to merge the threads for you.

JSnooky

Seaman Apprentice
I'm making some progress! Woohoo!

Okay, so I fixed that issue where the bow eye had worn they huge holes in her. I went with a cold weld since it was above the waterline. Can't even tell it was ever damaged.

Over the last two weeks my son and I bucked and or replaced all the rivets, and I'm happy to report, no leaks!

Today I laid down the first coat of primer on the bottom and will be putting another on shortly. All in all, it's beginning to take shape on the outside.

Ordered my flotation foam and am picking up my decking materials tomorrow. Let me know what ya think.

Attachments

• photo308094.jpg
    photo308094.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • photo308095.jpg
    photo308095.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1