Fiberglass Dust for Peanut Butter

woodman7975

Seaman Apprentice
I will eventually be setting some stringers on a boat that I am rebuilding and I was wondering if fiberglass dust could be used as a resin thickener, rather than Cabosil? I have mounds of the stuff with more sanding to go, so it would be nice to make good use of it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I don't see why not as long as it's dry and has no wood in it. The wood will absorb aqua over time. Personally for the cost of cabosil I wouldn't bother with the other stuff.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Kcassells. A four gallon bucket of qualify New Cabosil is about twenty bucks. And I can't see you ever using that much. And lesser amounts are even less. I would use the proper materials if you are going through the troubles to rebuild your boat. JMHO

zool

Captain
Plus there's a lot of contamination in that dust, might affect the bond and help cause your tabbing to delaminate, JMO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldnt risk it

I think a gallon of cabosil is $9. I still have half a gallon left

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Dont do it. Fiberglass dust is basically small roundish particles of glass that are abraded off when grinding, they have a somewhat uniform symmetry. The reason cabosil or fumed silica works, is because the actual fumed silica particle is a very complex chainlike 3D geometry and they all sort of lock together which causes the material they are in to become thicker...

Trust me, I had a crap load of glass bubbles and when I ran out of cabosil, I figured, "hey, this is like powder, it should work", and it doesn't work... Cabosil is really the only thing that can thicken poly resin effectively.

konasil_morphology.jpg