Keel repair for a 16' open bow

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 16' open bow Wahoo that i purchased about a year ago and the keel is worn out to the fiberglass , what would be a good product to repair this area.? I've been using the boat regularly and there's no leaks in the hull, its a solid boat . The area that's needing the repair is about 2-3' long. Thanks!

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any pictures? It would help generate useful responses.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Sand down to clean dry glass and feather it out about 4 or 5 inches to either side... then layup 2 strips of 1708. 1st strip a couple inches wide, 2nd a few inches wider, then one layer of csm to cover everything... sand it smooth.
then cover with fairing compound and sand until fair. Then prime and paint or gelcoat... but make sure if you want to use gel coat everything is polyester based and not epoxy.
:mad-new:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You may want to dig out some glass because there may be a "Keel" stringer that has rotted away from the moisture.
If so then a little more pics and info required to determine the next steps of repair.
My keel has 2 areas that are boned out with wood center of the keel. They are structural. They do not run the length of the boat just so you're aware. But they are there.
Maybe look into a keel gaurd after repair if you are into beaching the boat.

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the help, i don't plan on beaching this boat ,i had bought this way, it appears the last owner had been doing it for years.