water transfer decals

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey all

looking for best brand of water transfer printer paper to make water transfer decals. need to make new decals for the boat dash, so I was planning on taking some pics of what I have, using paint or photoshop to fix them, then re-print, apply and clear over.

my criteria is ease of use as well as durability

Woodonglass , I know you used water transfer decals on a set of chairs a while back how are those holding up, what brand?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I once bought some water slide transfer paper from a local art supply store. And I was going to try the exact same thing but for a portable metal 6 gallon fuel tank for a boat. Problem was, I didn't think about the fact that you can't print white. Yes as simple as that sounds, you can't print white on most any printer unless you use a LASER Jet printer and remove the black toner cartridge and buy a white toner cartridge. So I gave that idea up and decided to go a silk screen route instead. JMHO

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you don't already know, you can email the image to one of many online companies that make stickers/decals. I did two for my boat that go on the outside to cover some mounting holes and they are holding up well after almost 2 years use. Cost me about $12 for two 6" square ones.

Attachments

• photo304812.jpg
    photo304812.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a local decal guy I could use. the problem with the adhesive is it lets loose after a while, especially if you clear over them. hence the reason I wanted to try water transfer.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Clear coat might destroy the transfer. We made decals for boats, bikes, cars, etc. Sign shops can get very sticky adhesive vinyl to print on. Also a lot of them have white ink if needed. Aaaaaaand the inks should be UV resistant.

If if you do decide on water transfer, then apply your clear coats in very very
light coats.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There is a guy in the UK that does a lot of restro work. And he does all his decals himself and shows his process as well. And he always clear coats all his decals with 2K Clear Lacquer. And he has ZERO problem doing his method. If you want to see how he does that, go to Youtube and look for restrohax. He has tons of restro restore videos and is a pretty interesting guy. Take a look...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
As I stated, the Laser print Water Transfers WILL hold up well using clear coat. The Problem is the Laser Printer Ink is NOT UV resistant and therefore will fade over time. I used vinyl decals on my motor and did an acetone wash down prior to applying them and they have done extremely well No Clear coat.