An against the grain question on restoration

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a 93 Prowler for real cheap and I know, you get what you pay for. The motor and drive seem to be in good working order pending some minor work but the floors and supports are rotten. From what I understand the stringers aren't what really give the strength it's the fiberglass. Here's the against the grain question...

Given that I plan on using the boat for maybe 5 years or until the motor gives out should I go to all the effort of replacing the stringers?

Stringers are wet if not rotten, fiberglass is in good shape. The cross sections were plywood and they were compromised in a few spots to run lines. I'm thinking I can replace those and reglass without too much trouble.

Main concerns are 1) Safety, 2) cost given the projected longevity.

This isn't a flipper, I don't intend on selling it. It was a fair price given the work needed but I don't want to go overboard at this point. If the family really enjoys this boat and we plan on pursuing boating long term I'll find a more suitable boat to restore properly and sink the money into doing it to last longer than I will.

Please understand I'm new to this and trying to balance cost. If it's a stupid idea I'd rather learn that here than on the water.

Thanks.

Chris51280

Ensign
Here is what I found out. On a factory setting, the stringers do not have fiberglass all the way around and the fiberglass that is on there is minimum at its best. So having rotten stringers, compromises the structure. The way I have seen people restoring their boats here, is way above how it came out of the factory.
So in short, factory is bare minimum glass with solid wood stringers.

chevymaher

Commander
Yes you should fix it or it will not be safe.

As for cost if you want a boat you got to buy a boat. What you got used to be a boat. I been there mine started that way.

You can fix what you got or pay at least 10X that for one that needs no work.

This is why we all are here. Boat ownership has several stages.

1) You start on a extended Vacation in Egypt. In Denial it isn't just a river and tourist attraction.

2) Acceptance. You accept your dream is not come true yet. She got problems.

3) You begin working to make the dream come true. Demolition begins.

Or we can flood you with you tube videos of boats sinking transoms ripping off. If you love your friends and family make the boat safe.

tpenfield

Staff member
Cut out the rotten stringers and then walk around in side the hull. You’ll gain a new appreciation for the strength added by the stringers.

if the current stringers have lots of fiberglass encapsulating them, then they may have sufficient strength, but that is a rarity.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Lets put it this way.... Try walking and lifting things without your spine or your femurs.

Now you understand bulkheads and stringers..

Time to get itchy

Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
dont be skeered :) we will be right behind ya the whole way :) just out of itchy distance:)
jokes aside , do you really like the boat? if not just yank good parts off it and store them, find a boat you like and wont mind redoing , imho boats older then 5 years without something needing rebuilt is rare.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another vote for “if you like it fix it” or if you don’t keep or sell off the usable goodies and find the boat you want and like. Either way you will be fixing something ......or buying new and what fun is that 🙃

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay, its unanimous, stupid idea and the stringers need to come out. A few more dollars now and safe ride later is worth it.

thanks for the constructive feedback!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
We all asked that question once i Believe :) its almost a rite of passage in boat restoration forum, anyway pics lots of pics and stuff:)

chevymaher

Commander
Yea another member converted to the flock. Once you get it done you will look back and think. Really i was going to use it like that.

I remember thinking I will patch this stringer in the skii locker. That lasted until the tank lid came off.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Welcome to the the club. Doing it right the first time for structure and safety is the key. Plus that sucker...you will own it inside and out. Betta den factory!:joyous:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Such great advice previously offered. And I concur with such advice. And even if you rebuilt this boat and decide to sell it, it will bring a lot more being refurbished correctly and more importantly, safely as well. JMHO

oldrem

Commander
Lots of great folks on here to help you along every inch. You're in good hands now.

zool

Captain
Dont listen to these workaholics on here, Its a cheap boat, why make it expensive? I mean, if u bought a 25 year old car for 300 bux and just because the frame and floorboards are rotted...and the motor mounts are shot, that wouldnt keep you off the freeway right?...Just wipe the gel coat down with wd40 to shine it up, load the family and neighbors kids on board, light a smoke and head out! :rolleyes:

Sounds a bit crazy right?....but thats the lure of buying a "real cheap" boat.

Ive ran a few of my boats way past their due...I used the Sea Ray til it started taking on too much water thru the spider cracks in the rotted transom, and my center console is so foam soaked, that it was getting slower each year....so what you were suggesting isnt that crazy, its just unsafe for u, ur passengers,other boaters and first responders.

Fixing it right doesnt have to cost a fortune, just use the adequate materials the first time around, like you dont need marine grade ply, you can get by with exterior ply from home depot, and get laminating resin from online sources, not ur local West Marine, ect.

In the end, boating will be fun, because you will have piece of mind knowing whats underneath you and ur loved ones.

Happy Thanksgiving.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Who was that Masked Man....................... Named ZOOL?

@zool
images

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If the Interior is good and the motor is good then I'm pretty sure you can make her safe and seaworthy for $1.500 to $2,000
Maybe even less if you do some scrounging