DIY rub rail repair

harringtondav

Commander
2017 I had a loosing encounter with a Miss river channel marker. About 12" of my '96 Larson's NLA rub rail was shattered. The insert was fine. Tocco metals carried a close profile, but not close enough for a partial match around the bow. Full boat rub rail and way too much insert was to cost +-$250.

So, I took a deep breath and cut out a 14" section of the good rub rail, and used it as a pattern in a two-part silicon mold box. I cast the replacement section with West's special clear resin and their white high density filler. The external an internal contours were perfect.

I neglected to take a pic of the finished repair. But with some fussy fitting and almond RTV at the butt joints you wouldn't see it unless your were looking.

Rub rail1.jpgRub rail2.jpgRub rail3.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your home-made rub rails fails. give marine surplus a call, i believe they have that rub rail on their shelf. BTW, their prices are high, but nowhere as high as Taco

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You can get that rail through most any RV company in the country, it was used on a lot of RV's since the late 60's I think I still have 2 12 sticks of it in the rafters of the garage.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay MT, I think your "new" one you made looks pretty good. As I read the post, I thought you were going to pour aluminum to make your new one. But your molded version looks pretty nice and I believe it will suffice quite well. JMHO

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Okay MT, I think your "new" one you made looks pretty good. As I read the post, I thought you were going to pour aluminum to make your new one. But your molded version looks pretty nice and I believe it will suffice quite well. JMHO

Hey,

I didn't make my own, when I need it, I just order a stick or two of it through the RV shop that I do part time work for.

Here is a shop that has it. 9 feet for $14.54 each

http://www.trekwood.com/products/318230/Trim-9-Roof-Edge-Insert-T-52

Attachments

• photo304455.jpg
    photo304455.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hey,

I didn't make my own, when I need it, I just order a stick or two of it through the RV shop that I do part time work for.

Here is a shop that has it. 9 feet for $14.54 each

http://www.trekwood.com/products/318...ge-Insert-T-52

Okay, I some how got the impression you molded that part. And I was very impressed indeed.

I have been watching a lot of back yard metal casting setups, where the person is melting and pouring lots of quality aluminum, copper and brass parts. Some are even doing cast iron parts. And I thought you might have been doing some of that. I personally made my own burner setup to do some of that soon myself. But glad you got it all figured out anyway. :thumb:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Okay, I some how got the impression you molded that part. And I was very impressed indeed.

I have been watching a lot of back yard metal casting setups, where the person is melting and pouring lots of quality aluminum, copper and brass parts. Some are even doing cast iron parts. And I thought you might have been doing some of that. I personally made my own burner setup to do some of that soon myself. But glad you got it all figured out anyway. :thumb:

Thanks,

I could do it, but I am getting to old, if there is anything I have ever learned, work smarter not harder, I am running out of energy to work that hard, makes my head hurt to much. But I do admire anybody that undertakes and does it successfully.

:D

That said, I have found out over the years, there have been a whole lot of crossover parts that have been used in both the boat and the RV industry.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks,

I could do it, but I am getting to old, if there is anything I have ever learned, work smarter not harder, I am running out of energy to work that hard, makes my head hurt to much. But I do admire anybody that undertakes and does it successfully.

:D

That said, I have found out over the years, there have been a whole lot of crossover parts that have been used in both the boat and the RV industry.

I am sure there are. However, once you attach RV or Marine to any part, that pushes the cost up over any common sense. Just my observations. As far as the old tired issues, I think we all have come to the conclusion that we can't do what we used to do. At least I hope everybody else is like me. :confused: