How I built my live well

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I have some more updated material. :peace:

Today I installed the live well in the boat. It is there to stay since I "glued" it in place for the final install. However the "glue" I used was actually Polyester Resin, MEKP, Cabosil and 1/4" Chopped Strand Fiberglass.

My mixture started out with 300ml of Polyester Resin, then I added the MEKP to it and mixed it well for a couple minutes. Then I started adding Cabosil and 1/4" Chopped Strand Fiberglass until I got a glue/paste like mixture. I used that mixture to apply between the boat floor and the live well bottom. And I can tell you, you won't need nearly that much mixture unless you built a huge live well that is twice this size. I could of mixed half these amounts and had enough. I added some serious weights on top to hold it in place until the poly mixture cures.

Of course I installed all the hoses and clamps before I installed the live well. It took 6 screw type stainless steel hose clamps just for the plumbing at the live well itself. And since the screw clamps were able to cover a large range of diameter sizes, I cut off the excess metal strips and smoothed out the ends so you won't get cut if you ever have to work on them later on. I installed each and marked how long they needed to be. Then I removed each one and cut the excess off and smoothed the ends, and reinstalled them for final. Way better idea to do that now and save all the cuts you would surely get if you go back in to them later on.

So with the exception of connecting up the live well pump at the transom, and tabbing in the live well sanding and painting it, and of course the top cushion cover, it is finished and I don't think I will have any problems from it. Of course getting fish in it will be the hardest problem I will have. :rolleyes:

I will post the final picture(s) with everything done, but that is how I built my live well. Remember, this isn't the only way to build one, just the way I built mine. Sizes are determined by each person as they built theirs. And if you don't need live well pumps to aerate the fish, or even to fill it up, you can skip those options. Same for the lights option too. There is no one size only live well. That is the beauty of it.

Final pictures to come later... Thanks for tagging alone and post questions or ideas. We all learn from both! :encouragement:

And one final note, If I can do this, anybody can... :thumb:

Attachments

• photo305647.jpg
    photo305647.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305648.jpg
    photo305648.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305649.jpg
    photo305649.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305650.jpg
    photo305650.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think you might be a1/4” off center with the installation GM .. Now she’ll lean to one side while sitting in the water ..:rolleyes: :D
Ha kidding GM ! Outstanding work and documentation as usual !!! :encouragement:
But if it is off center better hurry and move it before the glue dries ! LOL !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think you might be a1/4” off center with the installation GM .. Now she’ll lean to one side while sitting in the water ..:rolleyes: :D
Ha kidding GM ! Outstanding work and documentation as usual !!! :encouragement:
But if it is off center better hurry and move it before the glue dries ! LOL !

Darn, I though I made it 1/2" off center. You mean it is only 1/4" off? I can't even get off centers correct. :facepalm:

I went out to the shop since I posted the pictures and text, and the remaining poly mixture in the cup is already cured, and of course nice and warm too. So I know that live well isn't coming out any time soon. So it will be off by a 1/4" forever. I guess I will have to move the boat sides a little to accommodate the error... Now where did I put that new Stihl chainsaw? :faint2:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I decided to show a side view of my live well layout to better explain everything. If you have any questions or ideas to make it better, please tell me. I read all the comments and if you have an idea or different suggestions that I haven't talked about, let me know.

I am also going to attach the live well timer circuit so if anybody wants to make the circuit, that can use the PC board layout as well.

The timer allows variable intervals of aerating the water in the live well. Nice circuit that I have used before and built for my boat project as well.

Attachments

• photo305927.jpg
    photo305927.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305928.jpg
    photo305928.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A little more on the live well.

I tabbed in the live well today. I used Polyester Resin with ~2% mixture of MEKP. And I used 1708 fiberglass to tab it in place for keeps.This make sure it doesn't break loose ever again. So once you do this step, you are never going to remove it...well without some serious muscle anyways.

I need to paint the outside to match the seat boxes and make the live well seat cushion. That will be the next step for this project. I'll post that results when it is finished as well.

Attachments

• photo306107.jpg
    photo306107.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306108.jpg
    photo306108.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306109.jpg
    photo306109.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0