Starcraft splashwell gap

ShaneMC

Cadet
I picked up a starcraft super sport 18 that needed a transom replaced. I decided to not remove the splashwell when I replaced the transom. I just lifted the wood out. There is a significant gap between the splashwell and the transom wood. I don't recall it being that significant when I removed the caulking prior to removing old wood. The splashwell isn't attached yet, still seems like too big of a gap.

What should be used to fill the gap?

20181111_184716.png

Attachments

• 20181111_184723).png
    20181111_184723).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Transom plywood is two 3/4" sandwiched. How thick is yours?

Did you put in the 836 screws the holds the splashwell flange to the wood?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The thickness of that new transom wood does not look right. Did you laminate 2 1/2" pieces of ply together? Or perhaps a 3/4" and a 1/2"

ShaneMC

Cadet
The transom was laminated by 2 pieces of 3/4 inch exterior ply coated in marine epoxy. The transom wood fits into the bottom channel without any extra room. It was a very tight fit due to the epoxy. I had to use a mallet to get it flush.

I am beginning to suspect the splashwell was bent when the previous owner rigged up a ski pylon. So he just caulked it up at the signs of the gap??

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The transom was laminated by 2 pieces of 3/4 inch exterior ply coated in marine epoxy. The transom wood fits into the bottom channel without any extra room. It was a very tight fit due to the epoxy. I had to use a mallet to get it flush.

I am beginning to suspect the splashwell was bent when the previous owner rigged up a ski pylon. So he just caulked it up at the signs of the gap??

Might very well be, I have seen that happen in the past on a few, the last one I ran into that had a gap, I laminated a 1/4 inch strip of birch plywood to take of the gap and then put it back together and sealed it, as far as I know that boat is still going strong with no problems, I ran into the guy I sold it to last summer and he said everything was holding up nicely and I did it about 9 years ago.