Making PB out of epoxy resin

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i have a boat with some spots in the keel worn bad enough that some fiberglass is exposed due to the precious owner beaching it a lot. Anyways. I want to make a peanutbutter out of total boat epoxy resin with slow hardener, fumed silica, and chopped fiberglass. My plan is to prep the area with a wire wheel, clean with alochol, and apply the PB working it into crevices and sanding after. As long as i can keep the work area under 5" wide i don't care about color matching since a keel shield will be installed. Am i on the right track or do i need a different method/ products? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• photo303732.jpg
    photo303732.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303733.jpg
    photo303733.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
I've got an experience sample of one patching job - several patches. If you are going to hide your work with a keel guard, I think your plan is OK. That chopped glass may be tough to sand, interfere with packing the Pbutter into that crevasse, and maybe unnecessary. Also, I'd use acetone or Xylol/Xylene, after a good soap and water wash, and good drying. Solvents don't pick up dirt and grime very well. They do great against oily crud, and help w/surface prep.

Sounds like you've chosen your brand. I used West's 404 High Density Filler for some tough spots. It doesn't like sanding much, but it is very tough, and bonds well.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got an experience sample of one patching job - several patches. If you are going to hide your work with a keel guard, I think your plan is OK. That chopped glass may be tough to sand, interfere with packing the Pbutter into that crevasse, and maybe unnecessary. Also, I'd use acetone or Xylol/Xylene, after a good soap and water wash, and good drying. Solvents don't pick up dirt and grime very well. They do great against oily crud, and help w/surface prep.

Sounds like you've chosen your brand. I used West's 404 High Density Filler for some tough spots. It doesn't like sanding much, but it is very tough, and bonds well.

Thank you, i didn't think about the possible issues with the chopped fiberglass. I was originally going to use 1/4" but i have some fiberglass matting that i think i will just cut up myself very fine and use that. What about the temperature? I cant promise it will be at a constant 70 degrees (northern PA) but it has literally all winter to cure. Is a cold garage with halogen shop lamps good enough? Thanks again

harringtondav

Commander
Since I was a noobie at this, my problem was getting the stuff into place before it kicked, but those were warm days. But I'd do anything I could to keep the boat's surface temp and the air temp close to recommendation. Your solvents are explosive, so I'd do your cleaning first before you use a heat gun/hair dryer or any other exposed element heater. Keep the P butter fixin's indoors to keep warm, and mix them there - in a well ventilated area. Then apply them to a pre-warmed keel. I don't know the kick time (pot life) on your mix. Slow hardener will take longer. So the heat lamp on the repair will help. The reaction is exothermic - it gives off heat. But if it's too cold, it may never properly cure.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Epoxy is not that flammable. You can put the resin and hardener in separate cups and place them in a cake pan filled with hot water. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the keel for a bit and then mix the resin. it'll be fine as long as it doesn't freeze over night

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Set up a couple of heat lamps focused on the repair area. Let it warm the spot and go to work. Let them sit forawhile after your done. Keep an eye on them you'll be fine.
If you have a propane you can work all winter. I poured foam 3 weeks ago with my boat tarp with no issues.
They run @ 100 bucks.

657888180616.jpg