454 carb to mpi

d-reed

Cadet
Hi , new to this forum. I have a 96 Sundancer 250 DA with a carbed 454. I am looking to install a complete drop in model year 2000 MPI 454. Can anyone tell me what would be involved with this swap? I know that the wire harness is plug and play. I am not so sure about the cable mounting?

Any help would be great!

thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

are you getting a complete bobtail motor? if so, its straight forward

however, may I ask, why you want to switch to MPI?

if its for fuel economy, there is none to be gained
if its for performance, there may not be any to be gained

d-reed

Cadet
Well I have 2 engines to choose from here. One is a re maned Gen 6 from a reputable engine builder. He installs my carb, ignition, and oil system and sets it all up on a dyno. 3700 bucks. The other is a 2000 MPI bob tail unit with 400 hrs.4k. Thought it would be a nice upgrade. I also have access to a 2003 Mercruiser 5.7 Vortec complete drop in as well. only 260 hp compared to the 300 hp I have now. My block is cracked. That's why I am changing it

alldodge

Staff member
I like EFI, but new carb or used EFI and sounds like you don't do your own work, so I would go with the carb.

A thing that could change my thoughts is how well the MPI was taken care of and why it was removed from old hull. Another thought is if this was if the MPI was a LX (330 hp) or MAG (385 hp)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agreed, if you dont turn your own wrenches, go with the carb.

EFI runs good until it dont....

d-reed

Cadet
Thanks for the input! Well I decided to get the re manned 454. It should have 375 hp and 450 lb torque on the Dyno. It will loose about 20 hp with the boat exhaust bolted up.

The 5.7 would be nice with the fuel injection but I think with only 260 hp it would struggle to get up on plain, or even be able to do it with 4 or 5 people in the boat.

I now have all the spare parts to build a new engine except for a block. These 454 gen 5-6 engines are a very plentiful in the bone yard and when you install heavy duty valve train they work great for boat applications.