1952 Reinell Custom 28

robce87

Recruit
My apologies if I am in the wrong thread but I am here asking for advice.

I currently own a sailboat (J/22) which I absolutely love but my wife doesn't since she has to do "work". So we have been saving for some sort of power boat - not knowing anything about them or even exactly what our end goal is. I like cruising and occasionally fishing, my wife just wants to relax and maybe have a couple of overnights on it. We both agree that speed isn't our #1 priority. Now that we have around $12,000 saved I have been looking on-line for the last couple of months for something that catches my eye. And while there are certainty some nice boats, what is in our current budget hasn't really grabbed me - until tonight. The boat is a 1952 Reinell Custom 28 (https://www.boats.com/power-boats/1952-reinell-custom-28-6845399/?refSource=sponsored listing). Maybe it's just me, but I think the boat would be drop dead gorgeous once completely finished.

All this being said though, I know practically nothing about power boats and have no mechanical experience. I am however an experienced woodworker and am very comfortable with stripping and painting/varnishing which is what the boat seems to really need (at least that is all that is listed by current owner). So I'm in this in between place of thinking I might be able to finish this project but also being very concerned that I could get in over my head in a split second. What do you guys think? If anyone has some advice to offer I would be very appreciative. I also have some additional questions below.

1) Any guess as to how much this weighs?

2) It seems that if I decide I'm truly interested the first step would be to contact a marine surveyor and make sure everything checks out. Is this correct? Does anyone have any recommendations?

3) Is this too much boat for someone with no powerboat experience?

4) On picture #14 there is some rusty looking box. Is that an old stove?

5) Does the $7,000 asking price seem fair? Does $3,000 for the trailer seem fair?

Any comments/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated. Thank you much.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

your link wont post as its an iboats competitor. however this may be the boat on another listing https://www.boatexportusa.com/usa-bo...8&stock=a18764

a 1952 boat is 69 years old. keep that in mind. the boat sounds like a project, no mater what.

be prepared to spend a large fortune to re-hab a boat. be prepared to spend more on a wood boat

you really need to read Ned L thread to understand re-habing a wood boat. https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...shed-sept-2017

if your wife doesnt like sailing a J/22, she will absolutely hate you bringing home a project.

going from 0 experience to a 28' boat is a large jump. most people start with a 14' boat with an outboard and work their way up.

however if you get the blessing from the wife, the full understanding on the work you will need to do on the boat as well as the cost, take the appropriate courses for powerboating, you have come to the right place for help and support.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, I have to agree with Scott. I'd HIGHLY recommend that you opt for a Fiberglass boat and prolly in the 20-22 foot range. But NOT a Bayliner. Four Winns or WellCraft come to mind. Any used boat older than 10 years will probably need a LOT of Work. If you can do woodworking then you can do Fiberglass repairs as well so don't let that bother you.

robce87

Recruit
Scott,

Thank you for the welcome and your response.

That is the boat in question- thanks for tracking down an appropriate link.

I understand in theory that rehabbing a wooden boat equals a lot of cash and blood, sweat, and tears. And maybe I'm being dense or incredibly naive but to my (admittedly incredibly untrained) eye it doesn't look that bad. The cabin and hull look to be in great shape and already taken care of, it's just the top wood that needs refinishing. And with all of those materials being provided, it seems for at least the short term all it would need is a lot of elbow grease. Am I being dense? (Please do tell me if I am, I won't take offense - I genuinely want to know.)

robce87

Recruit
Woodonglass, thank you for your response and I appreciate the advice. It sounds like your absolutely right that a fiberglass boat is the most efficient/responsible way to go. I guess the issue is that I think that wooden boat is incredibly beautiful. I want to at least get a sense of what it would take to be in good solid condition at least for the short term (5ish years).

Did you notice anything that would need to be addressed other than the topside stripping and refinishing?

If I do plan to move forward with this I will get a marine surveyor that will hopefully be able to give a more exact and complete idea of what is needed.

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off, you need the boat to be surveyed, inspected, by a professional. There is a number in PNW that specialize in wooden boats. BTW all boats in this size should be surveyed. He'll tell you if the problems.

Personally I would much rather work on a wooden boat of this size than a fiberglass. It's one thing to repair a fiberglass runabout , the new stringers, floor and transom, are all easily reached, nothing in a cruiser is easily reached.

Here is a story of a free boat, it's both a heart warming and educational . http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...alled-me-Today

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
First of all, the advice you’ve gotten so far is good. Especially about getting it surveyed as you admit that you have no experience with boats of this type and size. A good surveyor could tell you exactly what it needs to make it safe and seaworthy, so you can then decide if it’s worth it.

It will take a lot of work - probably a few years if you have another job to do during the week other than working on your boat. It will also take a pile of money. All boats do.

All that being said, however, I agree that it looks like a cool boat, especially with the stove! It has character...

So, make sure you do your homework before you decide, be realistic about the fact that it will take more money and more time than you imagine it will, and that part way through your wife will likely be questioning your sanity in even starting the project. You might question it as well.

If you do take on the project, be persistent and finish it. At the end you will have a boat you can be proud of!

...then again, be mindful of the fact that your getting advice from a guy who bought a rotten 18’ boat on a whim, fixed it up, but part way through that restoration was having so much fun that he got a 24’ boat, that was even more rotten, and now that it is half done, is already dreaming about the next project...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Serieously, read Neds thread on restoring wood boats.

I have been restoring tinnies and fiberglass boats as a hobby for 25 years and many on the forum have 100x more experience than me

I also used to build hot rods and street rods.

I know I dont have the expertise or equipment to tackle a wood boat restoration, however if I would jump into one, with the help of a few of the experienced forum members I am sure I would do ok

However I would never attempt it if I dont have the wifes blessing.

Ned L

Commander
Nice looking boat that looks like she was well maintained (apart from the exterior cosmetics).
You have received good advise so far, especially about a survey. You would want a complete “pre-purchase survey” and that will probably run about $750+.
Don’t just take the surveyors word that he knows wooden boats, ask for a list of boats he has surveyed and find pictures of them to see if there is any similarity. Or at least that they are power boats (today most wooden boat surveyors are more familiar with sailboats, but in the PNW you may have better success.)
The boat does look to have been maintained in keeping with originality. This means she may well not have a lot of what people expect in amenities today (thus does keep things much simpler). The stove may be a “Dickerson”, quite desirable, but diesel fired ( nothing similar to today’s modern technology). It looks like she still has an icebox, no refrigerator (though it may have had a compressor and colling added).
The main engine is worth more than the asking price if he boat.
It looks like some planks have been replaced below the waterline, I would want to know why (could be good, could be bad).
The visible electronic navigation items are very dated,... may very well be serviceable and work fine, but not the modern flat screen touch screen stuff that some people seem to want.
Iffffff,......... a survey were to find no real issues, and everything is cosmetics, seriously plan on the process of bringing her back into shape to take 2 to 3 times longer than expected. If you can, and want to do everything yourself the expense can be manageable. Your time will be the biggest ‘expense’.
Boats always seem to double in size when you take them out of the water. On dry land this will look four times bigger than your J22.
If you have any real interest I would suggest you and your wife/family make arrangements with the owner to go out on her for a minimum of a half a day to get a feeling for is this something you all will like. If the owner has any real interest in seeing she goes to a good home he should not object. (I suppose it would not be unreasonable to offer to cover the fuel cost so he doesn’t feel he is just taking you for a joyride).
As has been mentioned,.... I have “been there, done that”, except to a much more extreme extent. I had the advantage of growing up and spending much of my life with very similar boats, having all the tools and experience needed.
Good luck, she looks like a nice boat.
(sorry for not seeing this sooner, I’ve been busy w/work & work travel.)