Gel Texture question

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
taking a break from the Rogue this weekend to spend time with dad. however have a question.

as I am getting ready to start spraying gel in a few weeks, I need to solve the texture issue on the dash.

I already have the non-skid for the foredeck as well as the cockpit deck and the swim platform figured out using a non-skid additive.

however, how do I go about re-adding the mild texture on the dash?

Q-cells? fumed silica? the guys at Fiberglass coatings never have encountered this texture and are guessing like I am

its like a fine orange peel however has a uniform consistency.

take a look at the photo and offer suggestions

photo302878.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
In the dark with you, Scott. Wonder if a dry roller over the surface as the gel begins to cure would do it?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
JB, it was either sprayed or rolled on, it wasnt an in-mold mat.

my first thought was a pressure gun with the air down to get more splatter, and lest atomization. this was done over 30 years ago, so Im guessing

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You sure you want the dash textured ?
‘Yeah I agree that had to have been sprayed .. Just looks like a very even orange peel ..
You recoating the whole area or just trying to patch an area in ?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Gibco IS the gelcoat mold company but...To Get that Leather grain pattern, I'd just use a piece of grained upholstery vinyl and when the Gel gets tacky I'd lay the vinyl face side down and roll over it with a paint roller. Pretty sure the pattern would transfer to the gel. Never done it but easy enuf to test on a piece of plywood.:noidea:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You sure you want the dash textured ?
‘Yeah I agree that had to have been sprayed .. Just looks like a very even orange peel ..
You recoating the whole area or just trying to patch an area in ?

re-spraying the whole boat. top of dash had stress cracks from 30 years of sunlight coming thru the windows.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Probably just gunna have to experiment a little with some different things .. Burlap maybe ? That may be to rough .
You could always sand and buff and make it shiny ... ;)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Problem with a shiny dash would be stepping on it to get to the foredeck to toss the anchor ( vs scurrying below, up thru a hatch, etc)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
going to pick up some gel to play with. the stuff I have left is a few years old.

going to try to turn the pressure down on the HVLP gun to get a dry spray

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
wondering what would happen if you bought some different leather/vinyl material scraps and used spray adhesive to attach it to a roller. Then use the roller after its sprayed on to try and transfer the texture... Would just have to figure out how to get around the seam leaving an imprint each time around.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would rather use a bed liner roller than try to make something.

81M2KIYDq0L._SX679_.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’m thinking with the right HVLP set up air and volume adjustment you should be able to come close to what your shooting for ..
I know if there’s one thing I’m good at it’s making orange peel ! :facepalm: