canvas seam sealer options

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi Just curious

Anyone ever used silicone dilluted with odorless mineral spirit to seal a threaded seam on a canvas boat canvas.

Or know of a good option other than the spray on liquids which do not see to be working.

Material is Top gun & its fairly new // pulled pretty tight which might be contributing.

Thanks!!!

harringtondav

Commander
What you're describing is most masonry sealers. Also some clear, solvent based wood/deck sealers are the same. If you Google search, specify "Solvent Based". Example https://www.homedepot.com/p/Foundat...onry-Water-Repellent-SX5000LX401GAL/205719719

I used 303 Marine Fabric Guard. It worked very well, but didn't last over two years. About $10/gal less than the above.

No silicone based sealer lasts forever. If you've ever used one on a deck, that wonderful water beading lasts the first year. Period.

alldodge

Staff member
For canvas or sunbrella type, I use scotch guard and just spray it real heavy on each seam

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rub a candle on it. We use it for awnings in the RV industry. Works pretty good.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've use Beeswax and Paraffin wax. Melt them together and mix well. While still in liquid form, use a cheap CHIP Brush and apply the wax to the seam. It'll last a good long time.