1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the last of the gimbal torn apart last night. Pivot pin wasn't bad at all came right out. The bearing was a different story I'm thinking its original and man did it take a beating to come out. Found a few other items to replace that i will need to order. Going to clean the parts up and repaint them before reassembly.

Also finally got the ski locker cover completely finished. Came out pretty nice. Ended up painting the aluminum trim ring because it was beat up and scratched to hell. Screwed and caulked the outside seam.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pretty good last couple of days here, Got some of the new bearings installed in the gimbal housings. Ended up damaging the new lower bearing for the gimbal ring. Its the non-metal bearing that the lower pin goes in. If any one has any tips for installing that let me know. Had to order another one. Got them sanded and prepped and then put up a temporary "Paint booth". They got 2 coats of self etching primer and then 3 coats of gloss black with hardener. Got one little run that I might wet sand a buff a little to hide.

Also wanted to strip the last of the 90's from the boat so I started this on Thursday night but finished my vinyl wrap. Went with a darker blue and a grey to keep my theme going. the back end isn't perfect because it goes from being flat to having scallop shapes so I did get a wrinkle or too, but you have to be right up on it to see. Also got a new chrome gas vent and bilge bulk head.

Then had to show some love to my other baby and start getting her ready for the season while I waited for paint to dry.

chevymaher

Commander
LOL don't worry once it is in the water you will never see paint issues. My buddy gets after me for doing mine all the time. He says nobody cares about that it is in the water. My response is yea but on the way it is right in their faces. I shine my prop before I go. Some of us are sick.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well after realizing I was missing a few new parts for the gimbal and having to wait for them to come in I finally got the housing and ring assembled with a new stainless pivot pin and all new bushings. Then I used a new transom seal and I also used 4200 around the through bolt holes from both sides.

20190330_175716.jpg

Then I got the new shift cable bellows, exhaust bellows and water line on. New grease seal pressed in. Still need to the do the bearing but have to wait until I can fix the tool at work on Monday. Tomorrow I should be able to get the rest of the gimbal back on and done. Not looking forward to trying to get everything squeezed back in, big hands don't like tight spaces.

20190330_175850.jpg

Chris51280

Ensign
Looks like new. I know there is always something missing. Its like that 10mm socket.
waiting is the hardest

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gimbal housing is all done except for actually pressing in the new bearing. Was not that bad at all except had to take off the front exhaust bellow because I forgot the grounding clip. I did have the spreader tool because I bought a tool kit on ebay. My suggestion to everyone would be to just pull the shift linkage off, it was so easy out of the way and takes 2 seconds to pull. Everything on here is brand new now.

I also ran the hydraulic hoses with a new seal and got the steering hooked back up. Still lots to tidy up but it is basically ready for the motor.

So I dug the motor out and started to clean it up, degreased everything and need to get some high temp paint for some touch ups. I want to get it back on the trailer before the motor goes in as well so the trailer is getting some attention at the moment. Sanded and primed the rusty spots and then she will be going a nice blue. I am very nervous about transitioning it back to the trailer.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You need some new stickers on your Gimbal housing ;) Everything looks soooooo nice all clean and purdy. I love how you made the bases for your accessories like the hydraulic pump, etc. It makes it so organized. Nice job :peace:

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
You need some new stickers on your Gimbal housing ;) Everything looks soooooo nice all clean and purdy. I love how you made the bases for your accessories like the hydraulic pump, etc. It makes it so organized. Nice job :peace:

I will be purchasing some new decals. Wanted to be sure I'm all done and will probably wait till after the first splash to reduce any risk of scratching them.

The bases are nice because you dont have to worry about the screws into the deck and creating a leak point. The trim one should have been a little more angled now that I see how the hoses want to lay but o well.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hated the white trailer as it showed so much dirt and scum and any bit of rust. So I sanded the big rust spots and any flaking paint. Some rusty metal primer on Sunday night and then a couple coats of navy blue. Painted the axle, leaf's and under the fenders black. Painted the roller arms black too. Pulled the hubs off to inspect bearings and repacked everything.
Everything else should go back together tomorrow.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very big day today, got the trailer mostly back together. Then just for testing I thought I would back it up to the boat to see if I could drag the boat from the cradle to the trailer without having to use my gantry again. It looked good so I thought I wonder if the winch will have enough to pull it and the next thing you know it was on the trailer. It went very smooth, just slowly winched it on. There was only one point I had the wife come out and do the winching while I steadied the boat when it was basically off the cradle and only on one set of rollers.

Also got my alignment tool all cleaned up and installed the bearing finally. Now a bunch of small stuff then I should be able to drop the motor in this weekend!