1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
MM did you use the old cover for patterns or did you make your own. To me, it looks like some of the seams are in the wrong location.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
MM did you use the old cover for patterns or did you make your own. To me, it looks like some of the seams are in the wrong location.

I used the old ones as patterns, there pretty much where the old ones were I think they were able to make it look better by softening the vinyl when pulling it. The thing that makes it look so bad to me is my experience sewing and keeping straight even lines. It will do I guess.

Which seams look wrong to you?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
based on the Light reflection, the bottom seat horizontal seam appears to be a bit low. But you're correct about the vinyl. you can use a hair dryer to get rid of some of the wrinkles.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
based on the Light reflection, the bottom seat horizontal seam appears to be a bit low. But you're correct about the vinyl. you can use a hair dryer to get rid of some of the wrinkles.

Believe it or not the originals were even lower on the sides, I raised and cut some away. The front is really pulled down because the cushion dips down so low. I think I'll be happier with them when I can finish the backs and touch a few things up. Will see I guess.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey, it's a tug and pull an push and prod kinda ordeal. My first job was a MESS!!! You're doing fine!!! You Always See every flaw. No Worries.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Haven't got much done this past week. There's so much small stuff to do I find myself spending more time thinking about what to do next. I got the other side pin stripe all removed. I finally removed the bow upper back rest cushions and they were so water logged the wood disintegrated when i removed the covers so i got those cut out of new wood. I worked on the second bucket seat and it looks about the same as the other one. I did however add the edging to the backside and looks a little more finished now. I tried a cargo net but could only find white and it looked bad so for now I think I'm just leaving it alone.

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - I think the vinyl could use some 'tightening up' . When I made new vinyl for my Formula 242 seat, I put in a 1/8" foam backing to the vinyl, which tightened it up a bit without getting the seams out of alignment with the main cushion contours, etc.

They came out pretty much the way they looked before, minus a few stitching, color match, and vinyl texture snafus on my part. ( 'factory original' is the top image)

Seat-Before-After.jpg

So, if you want to tighten up the seams and be able to stretch the vinyl a bit, maybe add a layer of 1/8" foam, then cover with 0.5 mil plastic to aid in getting the vinyl to 'slide' over the foam as your stretch it a bit.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well one side is done. The lighting and picture do not do it justice. Stubborn spots were hit with 800 then everything with 1500. Then wool pad with Meguiar's 105, then to a medium cut foam pad and Meguiar's 205. Then a polishing pad and Meguiar's show car glaze and lastly a coating of wax. It will probably get a few more coats of wax.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Looking good! Have you sourced the plastic 'Christmas tree' plugs yet for reinstalling the padded seatback/bolster for the bow seating? If you haven't found them yet, I could probably dig up the link to the plugs I used. Just let me know.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking good! Have you sourced the plastic 'Christmas tree' plugs yet for reinstalling the padded seatback/bolster for the bow seating? If you haven't found them yet, I could probably dig up the link to the plugs I used. Just let me know.

Most of mine are still in good shape, but if you have it handy can't hurt. I had to make new wood pieces and I have a feeling some of my holes are not going to line up and might not use all of them anyway.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been a little while since I posted. Finally got some more gel coat in to fill the spider cracks, should be able to do that tonight then I can wet sand and buff the other side hope to finish that this weekend and then some. Last night I got the dash torn apart and removed so I can polish all that gel coat and refinish the dash and components. What a rats nest under there.

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did you brush or roll the gelcoat? Did you thin it with styrene? How many coats did you apply?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Looking really nice! Can't wait till its warm enough out for me to gelcoat my interior... it looks like a totally different boat with that done.