1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

tpenfield

Staff member
I too have struggled with the household sewing machines when trying to do vinyl, and even canvas. Probably worth shopping eBay or CL for an upholstery machine, then selling it once you are done, if you don't want to keep it.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
This thing has had no problems yet. I haven't tried 4 layers but 3 no problem. The only real issue I have is stitch length should really be longer than this machine will do.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well boys I was down for 3 days with a stomach bug, right before that I was able to glass the sacrificial pieces in place. The one for the trim pump has a big air bubble. I think the temp was a little low when I did the glass work. Im not worried as there really just sacrificial parts and I will be gel coating the entire surface.

Tonight I drilled the holes for the gimbal and the relief for the steering. Went pretty well, when I test fit the housing there was a little interference on the two bottom holes that I just had to enlarge a little bit. The steering clearance is a little more than I need but gets the job done. Probably going to put a little glass in there as well as coat all the open surfaces.

I have all the pieces of 1708 cut for the sidewalls and will be glassing them and the gas tank cover tomorrow. This should be the last of the major glass work.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey. Quick question about your foam. I didn’t see how much or where you bought it from. I’m about the same size and restore as you. I don’t want to buy waaaaaay too much.

Thanks

dezi

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey. Quick question about your foam. I didn’t see how much or where you bought it from. I’m about the same size and restore as you. I don’t want to buy waaaaaay too much.

Thanks

dezi

I bought it from US composites, 2lb foam and bought 2 of the 16lb kits and 1 4lb kit. I had just enough. I would have had more than enough but was little off in my guess on the amounts for the first few sections.

tpenfield

Staff member
Foam never seems to expand to the advertised amount . . . probably because it is not hot enough when it is activated and poured. So, you buy enough and as you pour it does not seem to be enough. If you read the fine print on these 2-part foams, it indicates that the working temperatures is spec'd at 80 degrees.

My advice is to try to get the 2 liquids warmed up ahead of time and also the boat hull and chambers, so that you get the most expansion possible.

When I foamed in the fuel tank on my Formula 330, I pre-heated the liquid A & B parts to about 85 F and the hull chamber to about 75 F . . . It seemed to work out great and I got lots of expansion. The ambient temperature that day was about 65 F, which would have resulted in about a 25% loss of foam expansion.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
And just like that the last of the major glass work is done. I got a layer of 1708 up the side walls of both sides of the boat.

I also got the gas tank section done as well.

I have about a quart of resin left that I plan to use to reinforce my home made pedestal captain chairs. Now all the prep work to make this thing look good again. There's going to be a lot of sanding and feathering to make all the edges and everything look good for gel coat.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys, went and checked it this morning and there's a few delaminated spots and dry spots. I was really trying to stretch the resin but I wasn't really going for strength as much as a decent player to protect the thin foam. I'll cut and grind the bad spots and do a final touch up before the gel coat.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good job Mike! congrats

by the way why did you glassed the side of the boat with 1708?

keep it going like this

Thanks,

If you look way back when I did the demolition, someone else had done a half a** floor job before and must have ground the glue off the side walls. So when i tore it off and ground again it was down to bare foam on the side walls. I even had a huge chunk tword the back delaminate. It wasn't for strength just getting back to correct. Especially since I will be gel coating and not carpeting it.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
So today will start the prep to sand and feather everything for gel coat. I have a question about the gel coat. I already rolled the ski locker with good results but it's really dull. Almost matte in appearance. Is there anything that can be done to increase the shine without wet sanding and buffing? Should it naturally be glossy? Could to much surface wax cause the low gloss? I did 2 layers unwaxed and 1 final waxed layer.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
If anyone has any insight to my gel coat question I would really appreciate it.

Anyway spent a long day sanding and grinding. I think I can officially hang up my grinding on this thing. A belt sander turned out to be perfect for sanding, my orbital sander would just clog the paper instantly. Feather all my edges and smoothed things out pretty good. Think I will have the fair a few spots I'm not super happy with but overall looks really good.

Before that I finally got around to shaping and sanding the seats I'm converting to captains chairs. I'm going to glass the sides for extra strength yet too. With a little foam I think these will do just fine. Hopefully I can figure out making covers for them.

zool

Captain
If anyone has any insight to my gel coat question I would really appreciate it.
You have to sand waxed gel with 400 grit, then polish wax and compound to get any gloss, usually a 5% mix of styrene is all u need to inhibit.

There are gloss additives u can add with the styrene to help get some initial gloss, Duratec is one brand that has a product, its a clear u mix in..

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I would take the side pieces off and cover them seperately. And do the seat and back pieces seperately.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would take the side pieces off and cover them seperately. And do the seat and back pieces seperately.

That's the plan. I want the bolts hidden though so I will wait to staple around the attachment points till after I bolt them together. I'm mostly just worried about sewing the patterns together for them. They will be the most complex part of any of the interior on this boat. Saving them for last to build my experience. The nice part or maybe saving grace is the center section of the seats is a completely separate piece so if im off a little I should be able pull things where they need to go and make it look good.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
What a great feeling today. Finally got to do some gel coating. Spent about 2 hours cleaning all the dust up then checked fits of all my pieces one last time. First coat is down on the gas tank and bilge area. For those wondering why I am stopping there, I plan to install the gas tank and then glue my hold downs as well as access hatch supports in before doing the rest of the deck. This seemed to be a good break point for meeting gel coats as most people wont see it ever or it will be covered up.
It will also give me a place to stand while doing the rest of the gel coat.

I am also testing the texture I plan to do on the gas tank cover, so if I don't like it I can sand it off easy or just flip it over.

And last for the day was doing some 1708 on the seat sides/ mount points for the seat backs for strength.