1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Big step tonight, everything for the structure is fully water proof now. Got the motor mount fully tabbed in 1708 and the rest of that bulkhead fully wrapped in CSM.

Also got the first coat of gelcoat on the ski locker, the picture looks real good but its pretty thin. I am planning on 3 layers with the last having surface wax in it, will see how it looks tomorrow after the second coat. Had to custom blend the color with purewhite and halyard from USC, I think it came out pretty close. Could be a little more white.

Brien S

Seaman
Following this is keeping me going right now with mine. Giving me hope. lol Have about 2 hours grinding left, mostly little stuff. So looking forward to starting the stringers and bulkheads.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking good. This the part of the restorations that fires me up. Play "Six Million Dollar Man" Theme. We can rebuild it DoDoDoDo stronger better................

I know I was so excited to get that gelcoat down, I really had to fight the urge to just push forward as there was so many little things that needed to happen before the coating could go down.

If all goes well I should have the deck screwed down before the weekend and able to foam. I decided I am going to foam before I do any tabbing as I am going to need to be on the boards for the tabbing and want the support from the foam.

chevymaher

Commander
I know I was so excited to get that gelcoat down, I really had to fight the urge to just push forward as there was so many little things that needed to happen before the coating could go down.

If all goes well I should have the deck screwed down before the weekend and able to foam. I decided I am going to foam before I do any tabbing as I am going to need to be on the boards for the tabbing and want the support from the foam.

I didnt tab it and foamed. To Me that is the way. It lets air escape. The foam squirts out the edges. Oh you know it is full now. Keep a regular ol wood saw handy. When the foam reaches the magic hardness it comes off like butter. To soon it is gummy. If it is to hard no biggie just alot more work. I wire wheeled it before tabbing. Cleans right up.

But you can tell there is no air under the deck it is a solid sound. I mean solid. And i cant stress enough how quiet it is on the river when it is full under the deck. Ride in your buddies factory boat and just quietly smile and think. Glad I did mine myself.

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
good progress on your boat.
we are about the same level of completion.
gelcoat should go in tomorrow evening.

I'm just worried than mine is already waxed... the guy at the shop said that one coat should be enough...

I guess we'll figure it out soon :)

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
good progress on your boat.
we are about the same level of completion.
gelcoat should go in tomorrow evening.

I'm just worried than mine is already waxed... the guy at the shop said that one coat should be enough...

I guess we'll figure it out soon :)

Thanks, ill have to check yours out. I will say unless you thicken it I don't think one coat will be enough. Just got done with the second coat and its still a little light it spots. Might depend on application method. I would think spraying would lead to better results. I will say in my pictures it look great but up close it you see its light.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cut and put in some of the cleats before laying down the second coat in the ski locker. PL and stainless steel screws to hold the cleats on. Second coat looks better still lighter than I would prefer. The next coat will have surface wax so I hope its enough.

Question do most people put cleats on the transom? I really don't want to put any more holes into the transom but theres not much support back there either until I foam it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Question do most people put cleats on the transom? I really don't want to put any more holes into the transom but theres not much support back there either until I foam it.

Not sure I understand the question. Cleats on the Transom???? Where??

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure I understand the question. Cleats on the Transom???? Where??

Attached to the transom running parallel with it to the sides. You can see I have one running along the motor area and then one parallel at the first bulk head. Do most people put the same parallel one on the actual transom to support that back edge.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I may be wrong but won’t your PB and tabbing support your deck back there? I would think yes it should. But maybe I’m wrong.

Gel is looking good!

dezmond

I didnt tab it and foamed. To Me that is the way. It lets air escape. The foam squirts out the edges. Oh you know it is full now. Keep a regular ol wood saw handy. When the foam reaches the magic hardness it comes off like butter. To soon it is gummy. If it is to hard no biggie just alot more work. I wire wheeled it before tabbing. Cleans right up.

But you can tell there is no air under the deck it is a solid sound. I mean solid. And i cant stress enough how quiet it is on the river when it is full under the deck. Ride in your buddies factory boat and just quietly smile and think. Glad I did mine myself.

Isn’t that cute :) the birdies chirping in the background;) that would actually be relaxing. Nice and quiet.

dezmond

It was very relaxing all summer.

I live in a little town on a quiet street. But I would love to be in the country. Privacy and quietness. Someday I will convince the admiral to move out there.

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We did not put any cleats on the transom. We glued the deck, PB the gap between deck and transom and then tab the deck. We avoid putting too much load on the edge before foaming it. It seems rock solid now.

By the way none of our cleats were installed using screws. the idea is to avoid drilling holes in the protective layer of glass.
It seems solid as well. We used poly based glue.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ahhh, I understand now!!! Cleats on transom NOT necessary. If you think about it there's very little weight back there sooooo the tabbings are just fine. Just like there are no cleats required on the sides of the hull.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
We did not put any cleats on the transom. We glued the deck, PB the gap between deck and transom and then tab the deck. We avoid putting too much load on the edge before foaming it. It seems rock solid now.

By the way none of our cleats were installed using screws. the idea is to avoid drilling holes in the protective layer of glass.
It seems solid as well. We used poly based glue.

Obviously less holes would be better but I pre-drilled all holes and made a full loop of PL around each hole as well as coated all screws in PL before installing. I them smeared the excess PL over the screw hole as well.

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, ill have to check yours out. I will say unless you thicken it I don't think one coat will be enough. Just got done with the second coat and its still a little light it spots. Might depend on application method. I would think spraying would lead to better results. I will say in my pictures it look great but up close it you see its light.

hey Mike, you were right altough the gelcoat looks quite thick , one coat seems a little light. the coverage is ok buth you can still see the brown from the underneath wood. a second coat would be needed. not sure how to do it with the first coat being waxed... sanding before second coat?

we used a paint roller to apply it. (hairy type not foam type)

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey Mike, you were right altough the gelcoat looks quite thick , one coat seems a little light. the coverage is ok buth you can still see the brown from the underneath wood. a second coat would be needed. not sure how to do it with the first coat being waxed... sanding before second coat?

we used a paint roller to apply it. (hairy type not foam type)

I was going to ask this question as well in case I need to do it. My guess would be to sand and wipe with acetone. People do repairs on the outside of a haul by standing and seems to get good adhesion.
I just finished my third coat and added wax to this one and I'm happy with the turn out.