1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi - I'm new to the forum. Came across this thread while doing a google search. You did some beautiful work. I own the same boat in a very similar condition that yours was in when you started. I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle the job or not. This thread is a gold mine resource. Do you mind sharing a ballpark cost of what your materials set you back? I'm debating if it's worth it or not. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, thank you. There are certainly more out there with more details and how to's but I didn't want a repeat of great information out there. I wanted this to be a if you have similar boat this is how i went about it and made some improvements. I hope the pictures came out as at least on my computer the above pictures look fuzzy for some reason right now.

Depends what you all want to include, I think total for everything I did I have probably a good $3000 into this boat. But that includes everything, vinyl wrap, upholstery, some tools i did not have and lots of little odds and ends for the motor and interior. Its the odds and ends that add up in the end. My parts list above will get you close on materials but its everything else too if you don't have the tools or supplies. Let me know if you need any more info.

TinTexas

Cadet
I've decided I'm going to go ahead and do it. I love your idea of building a "cradle" for the boat to keep it off the trailer. My trailer is too long to fit in my garage with the extra length from the tongue, but I should have plenty of room if I build something else to sit the boat on like you did. I'm assuming you jacked the boat up with a gantry, pulled the trailer out, then lowered it onto your wooden stand. I'm curious how you secured the boat for the lift? Did you run straps around the hull?

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've decided I'm going to go ahead and do it. I love your idea of building a "cradle" for the boat to keep it off the trailer. My trailer is too long to fit in my garage with the extra length from the tongue, but I should have plenty of room if I build something else to sit the boat on like you did. I'm assuming you jacked the boat up with a gantry, pulled the trailer out, then lowered it onto your wooden stand. I'm curious how you secured the boat for the lift? Did you run straps around the hull?

Yea on one of the first few pages there is a picture of me using the gantry to lift with a tow strap about in the middle of the boat and then I used a motorcycle jack with some 2x6 structure i made to match the V of the bottom of the boat at the very rear. This was a very scary moment because my driveway is slightly tilted. I would suggest doing this before you start tearing anything apart to try and keep the integrity of the shape of the boat. I did it after i had torn the structure out and was worried about flexing the hull. Pull your motor and drive first to reduce some of the weight.

If you create a thread post the link so i can follow along and give you tips there. Good luck and let me know any other questions.