1995 Larson 174 SEI Complete Rebuild

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey Mike. Going back. Did you just soak the cleats with resin without csm?

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Mike. Going back. Did you just soak the cleats with resin without csm?

Correct, there totally isolated from the stringers except for a couple of screws. But what I did was pre drill the holes for the screws and i made sure to completely surround/ seal the holes with PL when attaching them. I then put PL on the screw as i put them in as well. I wish i could have come up with something better than the screws but i just didnt trust the PL only.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the second bow section done and tried to install but those xmas tree barbs were to tired and not holding it down so I found some online and ordered them. Then it was time to return the the dash. I wanted to update the bezels a little bit so I had some carbon fiber vinyl wrap around from another project so I disassembled the bezels and gauges. What a pain, theirs more wires than you think. Bought a new GPS speedo, and an in hull mounted depth sounder. Painted all the gauge rings silver to update them and reassembled everything. Still need to finish some wiring under the dash but then can start working my way back to the bilge.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
New clips came in and the second bow piece is in. Started cleaning up this wiring mess, got the throttle mount on the side panel and decided to carpet the section on the wall that is exposed by the cup rail. I think it gives it a much more finished look. Cleaned up the trim pump and that should go in tonight then I can finish some more of the wiring.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forgot a question, My fuel filler neck had a clear/yellowed tape or plastic on it that was weather checked and falling apart so I just pealed off what was left. The rest of the hose seems in good shape, does that plastic serve a purpose or was it possibly just shipping material? The pictures I see of the stuff doesn't seem to have it.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
How well do the barbs hold? I would like to make full side panels on my boat removable in case I have to get behind there. BTW looking really nice 👍🏼

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
How well do the barbs hold? I would like to make full side panels on my boat removable in case I have to get behind there. BTW looking really nice 👍🏼

They hold well if your holes are the right size and line up straight, if there twisted the slightest they have issues. Also if you have a curve the wood needs to have relief or be thin enough to conform.

Biggest thing is material the barbs are made of, hard to find the callout online and the ones I bought are way to brittle a lot of the little barbs broke off. They should be a ABS or polyethylene. Then they are flexible and not brittle.

Chris51280

I got the beau clips from sailrite that I will use for my side panels. no screws that show in the front.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the trim pump mounted and wired which allowed me to finally clean up the wiring in the rear. Got the rest of the throttle mounted and wired as well.

Then I finally got my gas tank supports installed. Pre-drilled through holes in the support and counter sunk them. Then I silicone caulked around the underside of the holes and sunk the screws in. After they were all in I put silicone over the heads to be flush with the top of the board.

Lastly painted the trim ring for the ski locker so I can finally attached that to the cover.

Chris51280

Looks very nice and clean How did the rest of the gelcoat smooth out?

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks very nice and clean How did the rest of the gelcoat smooth out?

Gel coat is fine, small amount of texture that I added in certain spots. My only complaint is the surfacing wax in the final layer comes to the surface obviously to make it dry but it leaves a dull finish. I haven't found a good way to clean it and bring the shine back without using a buffer.

Chris51280

Hm. I see how that can be a problem. The new bench you made, how do you want to finish it? Gelcoat or paint? 1 layer of csm to seal and add strength?

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hm. I see how that can be a problem. The new bench you made, how do you want to finish it? Gelcoat or paint? 1 layer of csm to seal and add strength?

It all already finished, theirs pictures a few pages back. The bare wood was coated with resin, then a layer of batting and everything wrapped in vinyl. Carpeted the inside compartments.

Chris51280

Ah, sorry. Must have missed that post. Looks awesome. How thick did you make the foam on the platform? You used 1/2 plywood with ribs underneath, right?

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ah, sorry. Must have missed that post. Looks awesome. How thick did you make the foam on the platform? You used 1/2 plywood with ribs underneath, right?

The sun deck is 3/4 and the actual flat seats are 3/4. The seat boxes and main back supports are all 1/2. I will be installing supports on the sides attached to the fiberglass. The main seat back supports the entire front lip of the sun deck. I may add a support structure in the middle but cant figure any of that out until the motor is back in. The sun deck is all 2" foam, looking now I wish I would have done 1" on the front that is the actual seat back. only because it seems like my seats are a little short and you are pushed forward. So unfortunately my passengers wont be able to slouch much. O well.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well started the fun of rebuilding the gimbal housing. Not looking forward to putting it back together, my hands are to big.
Almost got off to a bad start, the one side pivot pin did like 2 revolutions backing out before hitting a hard stop. Stripped the tool a little bit but finally with some PB blaster, heat and a breaker bar she came out. That's it for this weekend, going out of town for the weekend.