Transom Questions

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I think its pretty widely accepted that epoxy over esters is okay, but esters over epoxy will not stick.... I'm not saying I've personally tried it and it failed or worked, just what I've read on the ever truthful internets...

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Testing.. Been getting error messages trying to post update here..

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
At long last, the transom is in... I did get help with it since I have never done any fiberglass work before and the two layers of marine plywood were heavy to say the least... Next up, the really scary part, cutting the Alpha One keyhole.... I can't post any pics.. Keep getting an error message..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
At long last, the transom is in... I did get help with it since I have never done any fiberglass work before and the two layers of marine plywood were heavy to say the least... Next up, the really scary part, cutting the Alpha One keyhole.... I can't post any pics.. Keep getting an error message..

There is a blip going on at the moment with posting pics. Happens sometimes here on the forum.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, looks like they still haven't fix the picture upload error yet...

Anyway, I bought an aluminum drywall square since the Mercruiser tool calls for the leg under the transom to be 48 inches for doing the 90 degree tool method and the drywall square is 48 inches on the long side... I will cut the short 90 degree leg of the square to the 13 9/16 inch X dimension listed by Mercruiser for marking the location of the Alpha One/Engine crankshaft centerline...

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Getting ready to cut the Alpha One Keyhole... Attached the drill fixture and drilled all the holes... Still need to drill the holes for the steering arm... Checking through the bolt holes it looks like the transom thickness came out just at 2 1/8 inches thick.. Will know for sure once I cut the keyhole...

Alpha Drill Fixture Attached.jpgAlpha Drill Fixture Attached 2.jpgPost Drilling.jpg

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Near as I could measure, the transom is 10 degrees. I used the right angle method to locate the X dimension at 13 9/16 inches. I modified a sheetrock square to make the tool shown by Mercruiser for making the measurement. After I located the X dimension with the tool, I double checked it using the tape measure method with 13 15/16 inches recommended by Mercruiser for a 10 degree transom angle. It was right on... Next up is to drill the two 1/4 inch pilot holes with a hole saw for the relief area for the steering arm.... And then....the really fun part part, cutting the actual hole... Trying to decide the best jig saw blades for cutting it...

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok, right, wrong, or indifferent the keyhole is cut..!!!!!... Went through 2 sawsall blades and 6 jigsaw blades.... With a little trim near the top two stud holes, the transom plate slid right into place and appears to be completely flat to the transom all the way around... I measured the thickness all the way around and it came out at 2 1/16 inches. Next up will be rebuilding the Alpha One top to bottom so I can use it to align the engine for verifying the engine motor mount locations. Then it will be work on the engine stringers and mounts. This will be my last post on the transom unless anyone has any questions.

Here are the pictures...

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like mission accomplished ! But your pics didn't go through though ..