Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WebbCraft Complete Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Coast Guard requires manufactures of boats 20' and less to use foam.

    http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio.../FLOTATION.pdf

    But in a you own the boat rehab you can what you want. It's your boat. I just don't know why you wouldn't add that safety device to any boat. If accident occurred I'll bet the insurance co. won't cover it.
    I'd always want that xtra float time to keep everyone safe. I hate shark bites.
    Most times I'm wrong, Most times I stand corrected..But...Sometimes I'm right.
    1983 SportCraft Deep V OSFF 222 Cuddy Rehab
    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ddy-walkaround
    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-new-fuel-pump
    www.flotationfoamsolutions.com

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by kcassells View Post
      Coast Guard requires manufactures of boats 20' and less to use foam.

      http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio.../FLOTATION.pdf

      But in a you own the boat rehab you can what you want. It's your boat. I just don't know why you wouldn't add that safety device to any boat. If accident occurred I'll bet the insurance co. won't cover it.
      I'd always want that xtra float time to keep everyone safe. I hate shark bites.
      Thats exactly right KC! Its a safety device, not something that will help you float during normal operation.
      - Austin


      Current Project: 1987 Ski Centurion Rebuild - Tru Trac II

      "Let's get outside and into the fresh air first; then we can figure out the rest of our adventure."

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by kcassells View Post
        Coast Guard requires manufactures of boats 20' and less to use foam.

        http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio.../FLOTATION.pdf

        But in a you own the boat rehab you can what you want. It's your boat. I just don't know why you wouldn't add that safety device to any boat. If accident occurred I'll bet the insurance co. won't cover it.
        I'd always want that xtra float time to keep everyone safe. I hate shark bites.
        I added onto and enclosed the side panels so it would hold 8 cubic feet more than it had factory. I like my family bitching and looking at me like a moron if something happened and it is full of water. All is good then.
        Dance with the waves,
        move with the sea.
        Let the rhythm of the water
        set your soul free.

        1987 Four Winns 170 Horizon.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by JonNmtJuliet View Post

          Much appreciated. I looked but couldn't find anything that looked like it so I thought I'd ask. I'll take a look at those and grab some measurements.
          If your tank has baffles (to keep the gas from sloshing around) you may want to look into a vertical float sender but you have to know the depth of your tank and order appropriately. If you get one with the float at the end of an arm, be mindful that the holes are drilled so the sender only goes in one way and you may have to turn the unit under the mounting plate to get it to move and not hit the baffles. With the vertical sender, just turn it around until all 5 holes line up. It's a HUGE fire hazard if you don't get all 5 bolts in place.

          2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
          1994 Proline 2510 - 'DrifteR ' <- project - ON THE WATER!
          1971 Concorde 27' - 'Little Angel ' <- sold

          Comment


          • #50
            So after the new sender is installed then you should do ANOTHER pressure test. I've read about guys closing in the tank only to find out that another hole popped or the tank leaked somewhere else.
            Then had to chop open the floor.....and replace tank.
            Most times I'm wrong, Most times I stand corrected..But...Sometimes I'm right.
            1983 SportCraft Deep V OSFF 222 Cuddy Rehab
            https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ddy-walkaround
            https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-new-fuel-pump
            www.flotationfoamsolutions.com

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by ACon977 View Post

              For sure, glad you learned that before hand haha.

              As far as buoyancy, this is my one engineering minded pet peeve. Filling your boat with foam wont help it float, UNLESS you are submerged, then this foam acts as an air pocket which floats you. Under normal operation, the amount of buoyancy is depicted by how much water your boat displaces.
              I guess I should have stated safety for the foam as its not displacing water but it will keep it from sink assuming I can get enough in there. That's why I keep going back and forth on the locker storage to just fill it with foam. One less leaking area to worry with... storage is nice to have but the odds are it will just get filled with junk... I still have a little time to decide.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by TBarCYa View Post

                If your tank has baffles (to keep the gas from sloshing around) you may want to look into a vertical float sender but you have to know the depth of your tank and order appropriately. If you get one with the float at the end of an arm, be mindful that the holes are drilled so the sender only goes in one way and you may have to turn the unit under the mounting plate to get it to move and not hit the baffles. With the vertical sender, just turn it around until all 5 holes line up. It's a HUGE fire hazard if you don't get all 5 bolts in place.
                Oh sure now you tell me after I put the order in last night... I did look at those but since the original was a rocker type I just went back with that. I took kcassells advice and got a moeller which oddly enough they are right down the road from me. my tank is 7.5" tall and they have a 6 - 12" version so I should clear the baffles once I cut to size.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by kcassells View Post
                  So after the new sender is installed then you should do ANOTHER pressure test. I've read about guys closing in the tank only to find out that another hole popped or the tank leaked somewhere else.
                  Then had to chop open the floor.....and replace tank.
                  I was going to completely cover the tank and put an access panel in but the back bench will cover that so I think I'm going to leave it open in the back so I can access without a saw. I should get the sender installed this weekend. I guess I need to look up how to pressure test a gas tank.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    HD sells a gas gauge test kit. Just need to decide which pipe to use to fill with air. For fill and vent I grabbed some rubber caps with clamps in the plumbing isle to seal and used fuel to engine barb fitting to fill which had the gauge assembly in line.
                    Most times I'm wrong, Most times I stand corrected..But...Sometimes I'm right.
                    1983 SportCraft Deep V OSFF 222 Cuddy Rehab
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ddy-walkaround
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-new-fuel-pump
                    www.flotationfoamsolutions.com

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      I had some time this weekend so I got a few things done.
                      • floor is down bow to stern -- nice to have a solid surface bow to stern
                      • sanded the perimeter on the floor and the hull for tabbing
                      • gas gauge sender is cut and installed but I need to tighten the bolts and pressure test
                      • made some thickened epoxy to smooth out some transition places.
                      • cleaned up the keyhole
                      up on the docket for this week...
                      • get the tabbing down and see where we are with supplies
                      • put order in for more glass, epoxy, and figure out what I need for foam insulation
                      • find a hatch for the locker space
                      • round the corners on the ply terminating in the engine bay so the glass can transition down
                      • figure out how I'm going put back the bow (originally it had a 6" transition down from the bow)
                      Nothing exciting but documented work...

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Looks darn nice!
                        Most times I'm wrong, Most times I stand corrected..But...Sometimes I'm right.
                        1983 SportCraft Deep V OSFF 222 Cuddy Rehab
                        https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ddy-walkaround
                        https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-new-fuel-pump
                        www.flotationfoamsolutions.com

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by kcassells View Post
                          Looks darn nice!
                          much appreciated. little by little she is coming together.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I gots to ask is the bottom side of the wood deck wetted out/glassed?
                            Most times I'm wrong, Most times I stand corrected..But...Sometimes I'm right.
                            1983 SportCraft Deep V OSFF 222 Cuddy Rehab
                            https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ddy-walkaround
                            https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-new-fuel-pump
                            www.flotationfoamsolutions.com

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by kcassells View Post
                              I gots to ask is the bottom side of the wood deck wetted out/glassed?
                              the bottom and edges have two coats of epoxy but no glass. I figured glass on top should be enough. Once I'm ready I'll sand the top, one coat of epoxy followed up wet with 2 layers of 17 oz.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Sign up today
                                Great looking project, not sure how i missed it
                                project:https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...r-2159-hardtop
                                Previous project https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...rint-bass-boat
                                Previous previous project/conversion https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...rsion-splashed

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X