WebbCraft Complete Restoration

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Nothing photo worthy today but I did get my deck tabbing down. First run was at 3" followed by 4" wet on wet. Glad I took yesterday to do some extra sanding as it really laid down without issues. Now I need to get more materials. For the foam do you think the 80 lb kit would cover or should I order more? I guess I can go take measurements and do a little guesstimating...

chevymaher

Commander
I think that is enough. I got that kit. With a 17.7 foot boat I have 1 1/2 gallons of both parts left. More than 3 gallons total unmixed. And i used alot more than i should have. Made and filled side panels used it for sound deadening in the engine compartment.

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Ok I'm really having a hard time making a decision here... for the locker storage I'm think about putting enclosed storage and need to decide this before I foam. Would it be a bad decision to put this in? I think I'm to the point of just fully foaming it or putting this in. I'm afraid it could be a tripping hazard. What do you think?
DPTC1317(Top)%20-%20Locking_sm.jpg

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Not sure why its not showing but I can see it... its a DPI Marine model DPTC1317I think I'm going to go this route. Should be a balance of good storage and foam.

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Happy New Year! Well its been a minute since I've posted last. I didn't stop work on the project but it did take a backseat to a lot of other projects around the house and I neglected my documentation here. However, I'm starting to devote more time as I really need to get this done this year... Looking back looks like I left off right around the time I was going to pour in the foam so lets start there.

I measured and marked off the lines of the stringers and the pockets I wanted to fill. Remember this boat doesn't have wood stringers it has formed glass stringers with a hard foam impregnated within which was a royal pain to get out. I tried my best to block off those area's on the bottom I didn't want the foam to ingress. Once I had all of my holes (2") drilled I tipped the bow of the boat as high as I could and started to fill from the stern towards the bow thinking I would get a better fill that way. This is only an assumption the next poor soul that rebuilds this boat 50 years from now will only know...

tempImageNUp5IH.jpgtempImageqhUGig.jpgtempImageZFXu24.jpgtempImageNq7AqQ.jpgtempImagePo3iHz.jpgtempImagehry6h3.jpg

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Once I had the foam in and all those pucks epoxied back down I laid down two layers of 17oz over the whole floor. I don't have any of the completed pictures of that but if I remember correctly I should have applied more epoxy down as I had a couple of dry spots I had to address where the wood soaked up more that I thought. Other than that measure, mix repeat... Once I was done with this step the boat was extremely solid.
IMG_0904.jpegIMG_0905.jpeg

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Next up was building back the bow. from the factory there was a step down coming out of the bow. i wanted a smooth transition so i cut the bottom off and extended it down. i used blue insulation panels for templates and bottle jacks to get everything lined up on the windshield. Also, with it coming down I had to deal with the V so I extended the step out to clear it. I put a rabbit cut on the wood to allow for wood to come out and two layers of 17 oz.

IMG_0926.jpegIMG_0929.jpegIMG_0930.jpegIMG_0931.jpegIMG_0932.jpegIMG_0934.jpegIMG_0935.jpegIMG_0936.jpegIMG_0942.jpegIMG_0943.jpeg

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Once I got everything as close as I could I coated the bottoms and sides with two coats of epoxy and used thickened epoxy to set and used 17 oz to wet on wet to completely cover and mate to the old glass. Then I used a bunch of fairing and sanding. Its close but probably need to put a guide coat on to do final sanding.
IMG_0952.jpegIMG_0953.jpegIMG_1290.jpegIMG_1303.jpegIMG_1305.jpegIMG_1313.jpegIMG_1315.jpegIMG_1319.jpeg

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
the boat had floatation boxes on the sides that looked like they were made out of 1/8 wood with foam in the middle. I had plenty of the blue board left over from the templates so I cut them to size and glued them to replace what was there before. Once I had them all laminated together I glued them to the boat and put two layers of 17 oz on them. They are stiff but either need to drill out and put epoxy plugs or wrap with something for attaching the upholstery once I get to that stage. I thought it was a good use of left over material and easy to work with. I don't guess I took a picture of them glassed. I'll get those once I go back out to the boat.

IMG_1320.jpegIMG_1334.jpegIMG_1335.jpeg

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
Its been way too cold but I'm trying to work on items in the garage. I completely rebuilt the gimbal/bell housing and trim pump. Now I'm working on the swim platform. Its in rough shape but hopefully after sanding off 20 years and getting it oiled it should be good for another 20 years.

tempImageEY8ysS.jpg
tempImagetpml8B.jpg
tempImageBTZjOp.jpg
tempImageGVE2m9.jpg

tempImagef8DZYL.jpg

tempImage7yNe0t.jpg
tempImageRi286z.jpg

JonNmtJuliet

Seaman
well managed to get the deck sanded 3 coats of oil on all the individual pieces and will probably add a couple more now that its back together. its not a show piece but looks much better. its about a 15 footer now. looks good from 15'... need to figure out what treatment the brackets need. they where rough as well.

tempImagez1TWrj.jpg