1996 Wellcraft 210 SS restoration

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Coast Guard Regulations ONLY apply to MFG's As a BackYard Boat Builder The Coast Guard Regs are guidelines for you. MY Opinion is that Below deck tanks should not be foamed. It's proven to be a Main source of corrosion of the tanks. Air pockets are inevitable between the foam and the tank and condensation forms and corrosion begins. I'd recommend that you read and study this..

http://www.marinesurvey.com/yacht/fueltank.htm

Sasquash

Cadet
It might be worth saying that it’s a poly (plastic) tank. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
do not use foam on a poly tank, it will distort it use rubber to support it and protect it from sides but remember to leave room for expansion.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
See.. no foam in mine... gross? Absolutely... but no foam...

Attachments

• photo303932.jpg
    photo303932.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 1

Sasquash

Cadet
Good deal I won’t be using any foam around tank. I was a bit confused cause it didn’t have any before. Thanks for all the advise guys. I’ve got the transom cut and glued together going to install this weekend.

alldodge

Staff member
SOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo Look it up, verify, confirm and make proof of your case
So far no teeth in the dog.

Have no idea what your trying to state/say?
Do you mean something like everything is legal so long as you don't get caught?

alldodge

Staff member
As before have no issue with someone foaming or not foaming in a tank, but the Coast Guard Regs are CFR which means Code of Federal Regulations and are the law, not guidelines even though the term guidelines is used. They are guidelines because they are methods which can be used to meet the requirements

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yes the Coast Guard Regulations do NOT apply to people restoring boats. They ONLY apply to the Manufacturer of the Boat when it's originally built. Call the Coast Guard to verify. This Has been discussed Ad Infinitum on the Forum.

This might be helpful
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/SafetyStandardforBackyardBoatBuilders.pdf

I believe someone else has previously done this but just to make sure, I've contacted and am awaiting an answer from, the USCG on the topic of their Regs and how they apply to Back Yard Boat Restoration. I'll post their answer.

If you think about it, there's absolutely no way for them to enforce them on a Personal One on One basis and no Way for them to verify "After the Fact" that they were followed. They will NOT force you to cut open your deck to ensure there is the proper Flotation foam installed.

If I'm mistaken and proven to be wrong, I'll be the first to admit it and Post my apology to all the iBoaters I may have misinformed over the years.

Again, I'm NOT saying that they should NOT be followed just that they are NOT required or enforced on Individuals restoring their boats. I will say that Insurance companies might have an issue IF there's a catastrophic event and they discover that the boat did not meet Coast Guard Regs!

alldodge

Staff member
This forum like all forums they are opinion places, with the hope there are facts voiced.

This is your opinion
Yes the Coast Guard Regulations do NOT apply to people restoring boats.

I can restore my boat using automotive starter, ALT, fuel pump and so long as nothing happens, no one would ever know.

A law is a law and just because someone doesn't follow it, doesn't mean that its no longer valid. No one will require a deck to be torn out to verify something was done correctly. Only time something will ever come to light is it there is a tragedy and enough evidence is found that further investigation is needed

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
IT'S YOUR BOAT............YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.
Coast Gaurd Regs I posted 1st paragraph;
I agree you should do it right but people don't for some reasons.

The posted information is for manufacturers of recreational boats who must comply with the applicable regulations. Depending upon boat type, engine, length, usage, etc., a regulation (and corresponding guide) may, or may not, be applicable.

While we encourage recreational boat owners to use the information for their benefit, compliance with the regulations is the responsibility of the boat manufacturers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
coast guard regs are CFR and that is for every boat on a navigable water way.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
the reason they state that is because backyard boat builders typically dont do a ton of things boat builders do to cut corners, personally i would never ever foam in a tank wether it be a aluminum and def not a plastic, however because manifactures do for speed and moving boats per day they have to regulate it . anyone who foams in a tank is foolish , there are brackets and other materials to protect the tank , we all know that foam is just a sponge at one point or another.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I agree with you Micky.. Heck my tank doesn't have foam around it either. It had the rubber strap under it. I guess the factory thought it would be a good idea and just pour resin all over the top of it and alone the sides to hold it in place :( Ya poly does not stick to aluminum (which was good for me when tearing it out) :( I don't plan to pau any foam around my tank. It needs room for expansion.