1996 Wellcraft 210 SS restoration

Sasquash

Cadet
Bought this boat cheap knowing it need new floor. Figured new transom and stingers as well. Got the floor tore out up to helm am grinding now. Question is do I need to put as many bulkheads in it as there was. They were about a foot apart. Or will 3-4 be enough?

alldodge

Staff member
I'll say this, most boat manufactures design a boat with minimum requirements. Some do add a little more then needed, and only the high end manufactures go above that. While Wellcraft is a good boat, its not on the high end, so if I was doing it, I would put it back the way it was designed.

Sasquash

Cadet
Well got it all grinder out hopefully. We’ll post pic when I can. I’m asuming start with transom and move forward with new wood. Still got to get grinding dust washed out.

Sasquash

Cadet
Ooh and I forgot to mention the pic was after two small holes in the hull and two cut fingers.

Sasquash

Cadet
Thanks guys. First question is I got a alpha 1 gen 2 out drive do I cut steering reliefs in the transom?

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking good so far. Ya cuts are common. I was grinding away with 24grit discs with only socks on and thought it would be cool to grind a slit in my big toe :( I wear shoes now. Good luck :)

alldodge

Staff member
First question is I got a alpha 1 gen 2 out drive do I cut steering reliefs in the transom?

Yes for the Alpha drive you will need steering reliefs. Using the template is best, but without, it cab be done with a hole saw

Transom Drill Template.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looking good so far. Ya cuts are common. I was grinding away with 24grit discs with only socks on and thought it would be cool to grind a slit in my big toe :( I wear shoes now. Good luck :)

Ahhh ya don't need em all anyway. So no extra wides etc.

Sasquash

Cadet
Yeah there ain’t nothing like sanding one of ur digits down a bit.

Thanks Dodge for the template. Might be a dumb question but how can I tell where and how deep to cut reliefs by the template. Can I install the drive and just cut them till it clears. Along way from that point just like to have a plan together before I get there. Thanks guys the website is so informative with all the pros on here.

alldodge

Staff member
Its best to use a drill fixture but without that (and should have posted this one) use the sizes listed on this one. Note the top two 1/4 holes (d) are drilled at 45 degrees and then a 1 3/4 hole saw is used to complete the hole

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drill fixture.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	10668339