The Waiting is the Hardest Part...

chevymaher

Commander
Good Vibes headed your way. Google "(your boat)"stringer repair. sometimes you hit gold and it shows everything apart.

Every time I see your threads name I laugh and think. Yea waiting for the mud to dry. If it was dry the river is flooded and it is cold. Just keep my pants on summer is coming.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Designing your own layout, parts etc is the best part! Once I saw what was under the deck I decided to throw away anything I pulled out. I did take some important measurements like stringer height, motor mount locations, etc but I was excited to build everything else from my own ideas. Well except the center console. That was our idea ;) That’s what’s so awesome about this forum. You can count on help from a lot of people on here if you start to steer in the wrong direction. All will be good in the end. Can’t wait to see some pics.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good Vibes headed your way. Google "(your boat)"stringer repair. sometimes you hit gold and it shows everything apart.

Every time I see your threads name I laugh and think. Yea waiting for the mud to dry. If it was dry the river is flooded and it is cold. Just keep my pants on summer is coming.

Thanks, Chevy. I can't do nothing but wait, aside from a bit of poking around here and there when the wife allows. With all the work that I'm putting in on the reno projects (and now with the shed), she's coming around to the idea... I just have to tread carefully.

I got back out there after I finished working for the day, and after I had put in about an hour working on the shed. I got all but about 1/3 of what I need written down. I was able to get the dimensions from most of the various bits and pieces from one of the Bayliner forums, not long after I bought her last summer. Just so happens that a guy there had finished a pretty fab rebuild of the same make/model as mine, so I picked his brain a bit. I'll still do more research of course; like you say, there is a ton of info out there if you just look for it.

Designing your own layout, parts etc is the best part! Once I saw what was under the deck I decided to throw away anything I pulled out. I did take some important measurements like stringer height, motor mount locations, etc but I was excited to build everything else from my own ideas. Well except the center console. That was our idea ;) That’s what’s so awesome about this forum. You can count on help from a lot of people on here if you start to steer in the wrong direction. All will be good in the end. Can’t wait to see some pics.

Right on point Dez. When I got back to it earlier this evening, I took a step back and started to really think about what I might do differently. I've already started working on a few sketches, and referencing some other builds on completely different types of boats. I won't get too crazy with reinventing the wheel, but there are at least a half dozen things that I'm almost guaranteed to tweak.

Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but if I can keep up the recent momentum that I've had on these other tasks, then it's possible I'll be starting my 'official' restoration thread before spring is over. Could be earlier that if weather-wise we have more days like the last few have been.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It'll be there when you get back to it.:) At which point you'll have rebuilt that boat a hundred different ways a hundred different times in your head.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the last of the measurements that I needed late this evening. Had to run a few errands after work, then worked on the shed till well after sunlight. Had just enough twilight to get the data that I needed from the boat; now time to crunch numbers and refine my cut list.

I don't see any reason to go thicker than 5/8'' for the stringers, bulkheads, and decking... Probably the seat boxes too. I'm considering even going as thin as 1/2''. Also debating whether to lid my seat boxes, or just relay on the wood backing of the seat cushion pieces themselves.

I'm thinking of going super-thin for the wood backing on upholstered side pieces; 1/4'' or 3/8''.

So much wood. I can hear the sound of the vacuum sucking the cash out of my wallet when it comes time to buy all of the resin I'll be going through...

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is the shipping where they stick it in you and break it off.

I talked to a couple boatyards late last fall/early winter on the direction of another forum member, with the idea of saving some $$$ on those types of supplies. I told them I'd be back in touch when it was closer to the time I'd need it all; will probably hold off until I'm fully engaged. Hoping that'll work out, but if doesn't I'll still manage to get it done.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
If all goes well the shed will be done sometime late this afternoon or early evening. Then it's grocery shopping, then I've gotta spend some time getting ready to go back into the office for the foreseeable future.

It's gonna cut into my project time, as it's over an our commute each way. But it can't be helped. I'll still be able to work from home, but rarely.

I've been looking over the measurements and diagrams that I made of the boat for several days now. I've still not committed to how I'll alter the layout; I think that it may need to wait until I'm actually knee-deep into the build itself.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dangit - a piece of angled aluminum that serves as a bracket for one of my gables wasn't included in my roofing kit. Of course the supplier is closed today - I've sent an email asking for it to be expedited, and will likely call their Customer Service tomorrow morning.

If I had some extra angle lying around I could probably jerry rig something. Oh well - no use dwelling on it. Time to go shopping with the wife and kids.

I do believe some boat-centric retail therapy is in order.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat has been sitting. Told the wife that I wouldn't take it out again until all the repairs are done. I pulled some of the electric, so i'd be essentially have to hotwire it to fire it up anyway. The tires on the trailer are flat as well.

Shed's been done since the end of March. Started back on the home reno project, which has birthed several other micro projects. Weather hasn't been cooperating - 3 or 4 days of sun, followed by 3 or 4 days of rain.

Next significant amount of time off is in June, but it's for our anniversary celebrations. Had wanted to be done with the house and boat projects by that time, but it looks like that won't be the case.

I'm not one of those types to really complain about the rain; Lord knows that we need it. But damn, man - I never would have imagined that I'd still be this far behind schedule on getting stuff done.

That's all I got. Back to liking and sending encouragement to the rest of y'all.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know how you feel with "deadlines missed" .Seems we all THINK we can do things quicker then life allows. So don't feel too bad. It happens to most everybody all the time. JMHO

chevymaher

Commander
The boat has been sitting. Told the wife that I wouldn't take it out again until all the repairs are done. I pulled some of the electric, so i'd be essentially have to hotwire it to fire it up anyway. The tires on the trailer are flat as well.

Shed's been done since the end of March. Started back on the home reno project, which has birthed several other micro projects. Weather hasn't been cooperating - 3 or 4 days of sun, followed by 3 or 4 days of rain.

Next significant amount of time off is in June, but it's for our anniversary celebrations. Had wanted to be done with the house and boat projects by that time, but it looks like that won't be the case.

I'm not one of those types to really complain about the rain; Lord knows that we need it. But damn, man - I never would have imagined that I'd still be this far behind schedule on getting stuff done.

That's all I got. Back to liking and sending encouragement to the rest of y'all.

Oh I am with you on this all the way. I got a new roof gutters and gutterboards. Cut 2 sick trees down. I was doing concrete yesterday. All the things i been putting off while I did the boat. I went down and just sat by the river today and watched it go by. It is getting close to time. My chevelle is the thing like your boat that been on hold for years.

For me I am happy just seeing the boat done as I do my work I should have been doing 2 years ago. LOL. I used to not boat because I didn't have one. Now i don't boat because I am so far behind from building it. Time is coming tho real soon.

Your time will come to. It is a hobby and not a necessity. You enjoy it more if you don't worry about it.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Summer's almost halfway over.

Still trudging through the home reno work; what should (hopefully) be the last load of lumber for those projects arrived yesterday.

We've hopefully turned a corner; progress should pick up a bit more in the coming weeks. Lots of little things have come up - sick pets, old injuries flaring up, etc - that haven't been kind to my project schedule. Still holding out hope to work on the boat before the summer's over, but not overly optimistic.

Until then, still loving seeing all the progress y'all are making on your builds. Keep on keeping on, fellas.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sill plates and joists are going in on the final portion of the extension. Getting everything lined up and fastened to the j bolts; hope to lay down some subfloor within the next few days.

Got a new spark tester and compression test kit in lieu of the impending outboard maintenance that I anticipate after it sitting for so long. Even if it's still a far off thing on the horizon, boat-related buys still have a way of elevating my mood.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's been a while.

Still in home reno hell. After being able to work remotely for most of the last year, around mid-late summer I was asked to return to the office on a full-time basis. So, starting late summer/early fall, I've been making the 1.3 hour commute each way for work, with only the occasional odd day where I can work from home.

To say that it's taken a lifestyle change would be an understatement. It's also meant that progress on the myriad of projects has more or less slowed to a crawl. Add to that the time change, near-record rainfall, and now near-record cold temps, and - well, you folks get the idea.

Just to add to the fun - we've incurred a couple grand YTD on medical costs for just our pets. There was an increased co-pay to our family insurance plans, which means that the various prescriptions for our kids (elementary school age, so they stay sick with one thing or another) take a bigger dent out of what was previously 'project money'. I've got 80% or so of the materials to finish the housework, yes, but that last 20% is almost certain to have to wait until tax season and my work bonus in the spring come around.

And, the icing on the cake? I'm 99.9% sure that the 2nd vehicle/tow vehicle (it's a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee) blew a head gasket this morning.

I can't tell you how many times I've repeated to myself over the last few months that I'm 'absolutely, positively going to have the boat redone by Memorial Day 2020', and fully believed it. I've repeated it silently at least a dozen times this morning alone, but I'm not sure if I believe it anymore.

Depending on you guys rocking your projects to get me through the next few months. I'll be just as busy on my end - it just isn't likely to be any boat work, sadly.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the wind ain't lying, last night should be the last frost we'll see until sometime around the end of the year.

The winter has been a long one. Home reno hell continues, and there's still a head gasket to replace on the Jeep. But there is a weather window where I should be able to gain some ground over the next stretch.

I did buy a new boat cover, and I've continued to lurk here, researching methodologies, supplies, materials and equipment options. I also started disassembling some of the vinyl wrapped panels to recover as much wood as possible for template making. I believe I've come to the conclusion that I'll very likely purchase aftermarket seats, whereas before I wanted to go the DIY route and reuse old foam wherever possible. As it is I'll have my hands full remaking the panels - I don't think I want to be bottle-necked by more sewing than is absolutely necessary.

Keep rocking those builds, getting those finished projects on the water, and posting plenty of pics, fellas. Does a body good to see the world still spinning, despite everything feeling like it's stuck.