First rebuild - '89 Campion Allante 185 - Stringers, Deck, Transom

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Just got a new orbital sander so that'll be perfect... thanks!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
go easy with the acetone tho, cuz if you use a lot, it will make the gelcoat gummy and then you will have a horrible time sanding.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
It's bad when you have to go back 4 pages to find your thread. :)
Electrical question for gauges ...
I've never owned a boat of this size so not sure if this all needs to be all ripped out and redone or if it's normal. To me it looks like a rats nest that needs to be rewired, but I'm thinking it might be normal? I've seen this wiring diagram here and wonder if it's really that simple for all gauges? I have a number of wires on one post and thinking this is just from previous owners wiring things on to it. I bought a 6 position fuse block and mounted it up under the dash to get rid of the pathetic existing switches.
Thoughts on if I should rip this all out and redo it or? I've never used the boat so not sure if any of the existing wiring actually works.
Thanks!

Attachments

• photo321606.jpg
    photo321606.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321607.jpg
    photo321607.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321608.jpg
    photo321608.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 0

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Didnt study it too closely, however, it really doesn't look or all that bad... a couple of cable ties and it would look decent.

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Before you touch it I would verify if things work. Ground sensors and see if Guages move , run engine if you can to test tach and alternator. Then if all the insulation is soft and flexible just clean it up. If it's brittle and cracks when bent it needs to go.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Like froggy said. if they work you can always replace and clean up the spaghetti. Most times the wiring does look like that and appears as a daunting task. Plus you'll find out if the gauges work.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys, good to hear. The insulation isn't brittle so I'll get the new switches and the fuse block wired up and leave the gauges as is until I can test them. Still have to get the batteries mounted. Thanks again :thumb:

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Still working on the electrical... :rolleyes:

Question: I'm not sure how much my stator output is to figure out size of battery cables I need.The schematics I found here for two battery setups show 4 gauge wire run between the two but my port side one will need about 10 ft. of cable. Is 4 gauge enough for the output of most charging systems with that length of wire?

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
It is more important of the starter. The alternator charge on mine is 55amps max. The starter will draw on my 4.3 around 100-150amps. I had a 4awg which probably was enough over short distance of 3-4ft. My second battery is a good 12ft from the starter and I went with a 2awg. I also have a perko switch and from there to the starter should also be 2awg. Dont' forget the ground cable to be the same size.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Perfect, thanks! I can't imagine my 150 Merc OB would draw any more than that. I've got a Perko switch too so I'll go with the 2 gauge wire all the way around since I've got to order a bunch anyway.

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
I got mine on fleabay. I think it was $2.85 per foot marine grade which is finer in the strands and is tinned

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Slow but sure :rolleyes:.. battery wiring pretty much done and connected up to the new fuse panel under the dash I'm going to change the way the switches were done in the dash so ordering them is next on the list along with finishing gelcoating the splash well area that was cut.

Attachments

• photo322506.jpg
    photo322506.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo322507.jpg
    photo322507.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo322508.jpg
    photo322508.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Steve,
The work is looking Great! Electrical and motor stuff is my next BIG fear. :eek:
I've been dwelling on those 2 subjects longer than you can imagine.
Then add the cuddy interior and sewing...…
You are awesome!

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Haven't heard from ya in awhile Steve. How goes it. Hope all is well!

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate you asking! :thumb:
Weather has been harsh this winter just like last year... this pic was day one of the storm on Monday and lasted all week so
we ended up with about 12" so far which is a lot for us in western Washington state. Power goes out every night due to trees falling on power lines. Trying to push the snow off thecover each night before it collapses has kept me busy... but motivation
to go out in the sub freezing temps to work on the boat is nearly non existent. :)
I'm disappointed to how much condensation happens inside the cover and how wet it becomes...
I've got a box fan in it now that is on all the time and I've opened both ends of the enclosure which has seemed to help,
but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for asking!

Attachments

• photo324258.jpg
    photo324258.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wow that's a lot of snow! Looks like a little coming our way. Nothing like yours.