First rebuild - '89 Campion Allante 185 - Stringers, Deck, Transom

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Most of the snow has finally melted and I have a nice cover set up just in case winter isn't done! I'm ready to order supplies to put this back together but I need help with amounts to order. To recap, 18' closed bow, only 2 stringers with 2 bulkheads, curved transom will have the first 1/4" piece PB'd to the stern and then Titebond III will be used on all subsequent layers. I'll order it from US Composites and be using poly resin, csm and 1708.
What's a good estimated amount of cabosil, chop strand, 'glass, resin, etc. to start with?
Thanks!

Attachments

• photo308588.jpg
    photo308588.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 1

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was just told to order probably twice to get a feel how much you will need. I would start with 10-15g of resin with 10yd csm and 10yd 1708. 4lbs csm and 4 gal cabosil, the fillets will take alot of that and depending if you bed your stringers with pb or PL glue

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think starting with 5-10gal of resin makes the most sense. Im at ~20 now, but have bought it 5gal at a time.
Ive used ~20 yards of CSM, ~20 yards of 10oz cloth (my store didnt have 1708). but again, probably worth buying 10 yards at a time.
Chop strand goes a lot further than I expected, since you dont need as much to get the hairy look. But you need a TON of cabosil. if you try to skimp, your PB will turn into a puddle.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Good stuff, thank you both.
Since I'm about as far away from US Composites in Florida as I can be (Washington) I wanted to try and get the heavy stuff like resin ordered all at once so if I have to order more of something, it'll be glass or Cabosil. I can probably find gallon containers of resin without ordering more from Florida if I need more. Again, thank you for chiming in. I know I've seen lists in build threads but the search function here is a challenge to get an effective list and the advanced search seems to be broken.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I got the 6 - 1/4" pieces that will make up the new transom cut but while doing that I thought of another question... I have several small holes through the fiberglass of the stern that held a depth finder and a speedometer sensor. I plan on using a GPS speedometer and need a new depth finder so I'll be abandoning the existing mount. So should I be plugging these holes before pb'ing the transom in place? If so, what process do you use to patch the holes?

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had the same issue, I taped over the holes so the pb would be flush with the hull. Then later on I ground with a die grinder a thin layer back so I could fill with gel coat then wet sand to blend out.

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you are on poly only buy what you can use in 4-5 months so you don't have to throw unmixed resin away. I was going to buy all at once but found it cheap in town and Thank God I did it 5 gal at a time..... Plan was to be floating last summer......
reality ...... still no deck and only half of under structure dun:blue:

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I'm afraid of the same thing. I've never done anything like this project and having no indoor area to work in leaves a lot of risk to mother nature. Weatherman said we're on our 33rd day of below normal temps and my propane heater and temp structure is no match for freezing temps.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
$300 shipping for 10 gals of resin and 30 yards of glass... :blue: There has to be somewhere to buy this more local than across the country in Florida. They can't find a location to ship on a pallet so will be in individual boxes. I guess it is what it is.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I tried a couple but honestly I didn't really know what I was looking for when it came to the resin. I'd only heard that I should get 435 from US Comp, so that's what I ordered. There are boat places everywhere here in Washington so I know some must have it... is it just called lay up resin? Or what is the generic term to ask for for the 435 laminating poly resin from US Composite?
I went ahead and told US Comp to send it to me because I really wanted to get started and I'm sure I'll need more so if I know what I should ask for I'll start looking now so I can find it somewhere closer.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What I'm suggesting is see if they will sell you some of the poly they use to fix their boats. They prob. have it in the shop in 50 gal containers.
Just ask for marine grade poly resin and hardener for a rebuild.
Just like you described, "laminating poly resin".
Yea freight is always a biotch.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Supplies are due to arrive on Wed. :thumb:
6 layers of 1/4" ACX are cut and looks like it's ready to start reassembly. I clamped them and sanded a little to get them to match up better. I numbered them so I can keep track of them as I glue each one down. Can't wait to get started!

Attachments

• photo309170.jpg
    photo309170.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo309171.jpg
    photo309171.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 3

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well done. Just wondering why 6 pcs 1/4 and not 2 pcs 3/4? Looks good Steve.

Chris51280

Now I see it. They split it in 3 sections. It looks like you will have to fill a lot with PB under the first layer.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Now I see it. They split it in 3 sections. It looks like you will have to fill a lot with PB under the first layer.

Not that I've ever done anything like this before, but in theory the first 1/4" piece should bend to conform to the curved transom so no big gap. Then each subsequent 1/4" piece will be glued and clamped and I should end up with one big piece instead of three smaller ones. Or so I'm told. :joyous:

Chris51280

I will agree. Maybe you can even bend the first piece a little to conform

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I will agree. Maybe you can even bend the first piece a little to conform

I could do that or I wondered if I should do the opposite because I (mistakenly) only removed the center part of the splash well and so I have limited access to clamp the "wings" of the transom on the outer edges; I wondered if leaving a little curve in the opposite direction of the bend of the transom, when I clamp them in the middle it would put more pressure on the outer regions automatically and rely less on the clamps to hold it to the hull?

Last edited: