Best product for keel repair?

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know the term "budget friendly" doesn't usually go in the marine world, but i bought a boat (88 checkmate to be exact) that someone has beached pretty regularly. Its worn to where you can start to see the fiberglass mesh. What would be a good product to patch and seal this to avoid further damage? I will also be installing a keel guard after this repair has been made so the repair doesn't need to be a factory finish, but i don't want to just cobb it together either. Product suggestions/ tips are appreciated. Thank you! Derek.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Normally if the gouges aren't too deep and fiberglass mesh isn't exposed you could use a simple two part epoxy patch product such as MarineTex, but if the fiberglass is exposed you're going to want to do a proper repair, grind/bevel the area out and resin in some fresh fiberglass, then gelcoat (or bottom paint) over the repair.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
This may work for awhile.
diy-fishermen-fishing-fishing_boats-fishing_ships-sports_supplies-rsun1119_low.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
need pics to see what we are working with to be able to give proper advise.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry it took so long, i might just end up creating a new thread. Anyways.. this is what i have. I have been thinking about just taking it somewhere to get it done but im not sure what that will cost. I'm not against doing it myself but i have NO experience in fiberglass. Again it doesn't have to be an exact color match but obviously needs to be structurally sound. A keel shueld will be installed after this repair is made. Any advice on where to go from here? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo303732.jpg
    photo303732.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303733.jpg
    photo303733.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That is a very easy repair. You do have some exposed glass fibers so you will need to use some thickened resin with some added thickener and some fibers to fill the area. But that's about all. You Don't have to have any experience. We can give you all the instructions you'll need. If you pay someone it'll probably be $100 - $200 fix. You can do it for less than $50 bucks and about 1 hour of your time. Where are you located?

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is a very easy repair. You do have some exposed glass fibers so you will need to use some thickened resin with some added thickener and some fibers to fill the area. But that's about all. You Don't have to have any experience. We can give you all the instructions you'll need. If you pay someone it'll probably be $100 - $200 fix. You can do it for less than $50 bucks and about 1 hour of your time. Where are you located?

That puts me at ease. Just nervous that ill screw it up. I dont want to make the repair any more than 5" wide because that's how wide the keel shield is. I'm located in north PA and the closest place i found that does glass work is over 2hrs away. I just have no idea where to begin. Its one of those things that no matter how someone does something, someone else will say it's totally wrong and the boat will gall apart in a year and bla bla bla lol. I already have a 14oz kit of marine tex but i have already been told not to use that..
so what do i need? Do i need fiberglass matting? How much? How many layers? Do i just fill it in with fiberglass? What kind do i use? Poly or epoxy? What brand? Its basically winter here now so can i get away with doing it in the garage with a torpedo heater? The keel shield will be installed on a warm spring day so thats not a problem. Do i grind it down first? Seems like everyone has a different way of handling these things and everyone points everyone out on what they did wrong. Im not an idoit, just clueless with this type of work. Thank you

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And as you guys can see there are worn spots and knicks all along the keel streatching for about 5'. The spot with the dime next to it is the worst. There are other areas with the fiberglass exposed a bit and there are places where its just worn. Do i use the same product for all the areas?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
After you make the repairs like wog suggested there are alot of keelgaurds that you can put over your keel. Specially if you beach the boat I would recommend a device like that. Just google keel gaurds.
I don't have any experience/reference with 1 so someone else may chime in.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
And as you guys can see there are worn spots and knicks all along the keel streatching for about 5'. The spot with the dime next to it is the worst. There are other areas with the fiberglass exposed a bit and there are places where its just worn. Do i use the same product for all the areas?

You are going to end up making your own PB. Check out wog thread or stickys above. Easy formula. Just need to thicken it so you can work overhead. Resin, cabosil and some chopped glass. The cabosil is the thickener. Chopped glass is the strength. Add chopped glass to resin A, let it soak and fall to the bottom. Then begin the mix and then add cabosil. Gonna get like peanut butter texture, PB so work it into the cleaned out areas you showed in pics. The sand smooth and paint, gelcoat.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Iboats sells the products. Maybe jbcurt00 can help you he's a moderator here.

Thank you for the input. Im thinking about taping the repair area off, attaching a wire wheel to a hand grinder for the repair area, then a palm sander with a medium grit sand paper , clean, then apply a couple of thin coats of the formula. Then sand it the best i can. Not going to worry about the paint and the gel coat because of the keel shield going on after. I already have a 7' shield thats going on.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That will work. An oscillating tool could do the job with the right attachments with no dust/over cutting. Just saying.
Giterdone! Post pics.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd second the idea of a Keel Guard or KeelShield if you plan to do any beaching of your boat. Those are well worth the money.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Definitely putting on a keel shield. Don't plan on beaching it but I'm putting one on anyways. Already sitting in my garage. And i will be posting pictures as i go along assuming i dont get too embarrassed lol