1990 4.3 Century 2000 - Floor,Transom,Stringer,Upholstery Project

Chris51280

Ensign
Tried withe engine install today. The exhaust bellow is fighting me. I had a hard tine moving it around. The coupler seems really high and could only get 1/4 into the splines. Someting doesn't seem right. I have the felt washer and the spring between the transom and motor mount. On top goes the spacer and washer. I torqued all the way down.
im gonna be gone for a coue weeks but try to stop by every once in a while.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Dude, what did you use to install your gimbal bearing? lol, looks like you let some anger out haha...

Did you align the new gimbal bearing with the coupler? If not, take the alignment tool and smack it left,right,up,down while pushing in on it... The bearing actually rotates within the carrier (hence gimbal bearing)..

Another thing you can do is use a 1" pipe to check how well the coupler is aligned to the bearing. The 1" pipe will fit in the coupler but has room around the gimbal bearing so if your in the neighborhood, it will go in and show you which way things need to move.

Chris51280

Ensign
Ha. A punch. The last 1/8" was a b@$!#. Not sure why though. I cleaned everything but the last little bit just wouldn't go. Will try in 4 weeks. Long vacation. Lol

Chris51280

Ensign
Just a reminder. Saw this on a FB page from century. Run your blower

Attachments

• photo317195.png
    photo317195.png
    405 KB · Views: 2

Chris51280

Ensign
So I'm in the process of putting her back together with all the wiring and hoses and stuff. I slapped the outdrive on and tested the engine with the hose attached to it. It got up to 190F. I have a new thermostat on it and a new gauge. The impeller was changed last year. Is it possible that the water pressure isn't enough to cool the engine down? I did not open it fully and I'm on well water with low pressure. The hose is about 75 ft long too.

Chris51280

Ensign
Everything is hooked up. Radio still needs to find a spot with the speakers. Trim reservoir leaked so I get a new one today. I did a temporary splash test to see if my transom is sealed. I did it at an old quarry and had it about 80% in the water and looked good. Some upholstery work need to be done and cleaning of course. We are planning to go to dale hollow lake in TN this weekend. I will do an evening splash beforehand at a nearby lake on thursday or friday. (1hour away)

Chris51280

Ensign
I splashed today. Everything seemed good with all being water tight. The boat only got to 3000rpm wot. Maybe need another prop with a 19pitch. It reved up to 4000 without the prop engaged.
after about 20 minutes driving we went swimming for an hour and then the boat would not start anymore. I bypassed the new filter I installed with no luck. I could see the priming when you push the throttle down in the carb. It ran for 2-3 seconds and then it shut down.
it is a mechanical fuel pump on a rochester 2bbl carb that i rebuild over the winter.
the gas was fresh from the gas station from the same day. The tank was empty otherwise.
Will bring to a mechanic tomorrow.
My guess is the fuel pump or the carb not working right anymore. Any input from you guys?

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
Also wish I could help but I'm useless... congratulations on getting her in the water :thumb:

Chris51280

Ensign
I got it running again after adjusting the float and idle screw. Proper cleanup. It did flood on me too. Adjusted the float one more time and checked the needle seat for proper seal. Now it works again

Chris51280

Ensign
I got a test run in on friday afternoon. performed well without any problems. I even got to ski a little bit and the kids went on a tube. I goit it up to 3400rpm max with trimming it out and 25mph max. I run a turning point 14x19 4 blade prop. The boat came originally with a 3 blade ss 23 pitch prop. what prop should i try or use? Want to stay with the aluminum ones

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Post it in the prop thread, a lot more knowledge over there on this subject. Just be sure to give all the right info right away. If you are going off the gauge for RPM I wouldn't even post your question yet. Get a good multimeter or true mechanic tachometer to make sure your getting the true RPM and your gauge just isn't wrong. Main reason I say that is your RPM seem real low but im not an expert in that topic.

Chris51280

Ensign
Went to lake Erie to try her out. Afyer dropping the admiral off with the kids I opened her up and boy what a difference 2 more cylinders make lol. I got 4500 rpm and around 40mph. It was a bit choppy and windy so I could not trim her out but i think I can get close to 42-43mph. Will try again next time with calmer waters.
oil pressure was at 40psi at idle and around 60 at 1500 rpm. Temp was in range but heve to change the sensor since it does not match the gauge resistance. U- joints will be changed over the winter. Engine timer will need to be installed. Will change the starter wire to a number 2. Now is a awg4.
speakers will need a better spot with 2 more added. Engine hatch with hydraulic struts to keep her open. Beats the 2x4 right now.
I will need some advise on the trim tabs on how to install them on an angled transom.

Attachments

• photo319378.jpg
    photo319378.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 4