"Newb" question about minor fiberglass hull repair

vetplus40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am considering making a few repairs to minor gouges in my hull this winter. These are all cosmetic (with no exposed fiberglass) that are mostly below the waterline. Some actually look like chips from where the tow vehicle might have thrown up rocks in a gravel parking lot at a boat ramp. That said, my question is for this type of minor repair, is there any discernible difference from using gelcoat paste verses 3M marine filler verses something like Mari-tex?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
post a pic

most likely you simply need a gel repair kit sold here on iboats.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you just want to fill the hole, marine tex will work. If you want to match the hull and make it look like it never happened, a good gel coat kit, as Scott said, is what you will need.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
There's also a good product called PC-11 that I use for all minor chip repairs.

vetplus40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I will try the gelcoat kit to see how it works. Matching my yellow hull may be a bit problematic. I can get the factory color, but it only appears to come in gallons. I will only need a few ounces.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The good thing about gelcoat is it tends to dry the same color as wet. You can mix the colors, testing a dap on the hull along the way, and not add the hardener until you have the exact color you need. Just keep writing down what you add so you will have an idea of what to mix if you have to do it again in the future.