97 Maxum trying to educate myself in repairing fiberglass fings

gica

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted to know what I need to repair gelcoat dings that show the fiberglass fibers. They are not too deep and 1-2inches wide. Do I need the Fiberglass Boat Repair Kit West System 105-K

I wanted to get coloring pigments to mix it with a gelcoat paste

Wil this end up shinny or dull after sanding and buffing? Do I need different gel coat with or without wax?
Thanks in advance for any help. I will take pictures tomorrow and post them

Last edited by a moderator:

chevymaher

Commander
Hard part is matching the color.

I used Iboats gel coat repair kit same thing basically just a toothpaste type gel of gel coat consistency. On regular gel coat a primer gun works well from harbor freight.

It dont matter if it is waxed or not. It will shine like a mirror if you put the work into it to make it do so. Unwaxed Just fouls the paper more when you initially start sanding.

gica

Petty Officer 1st Class
I read that for non wax ones you have to use either a wax spray or wax paper. Where can you get wax paper?

zool

Captain
I read that for non wax ones you have to use either a wax spray or wax paper. Where can you get wax paper?

You can use an air-inhibiting agent to full cure the gel, PVA is readily available.....it aslo lists under mold release agent.

chevymaher

Commander
I didnt use anything like wax paper and sanded and buffed. It wasnt tough and it is as shiney as the rest of the boat.

zool

Captain
Unwaxed polyester will eventually cure , just takes longer and it gums up paper like Chevy said unless u wait it out.

The gel repair kits should have everything u need ad instructions too.

gica

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does it help that it's 90 degrees during the day here I the curing process? As far as time for the non wax gel?
Also as far as the matching color, I have a friend with a body shop that mixes his own paint would that help me, can I use the urethane mix to add to gel coat for match?

tpenfield

Staff member
You are making this way too hard.

gelcoat patch kit will have the colors to mix and match.

they typically come with a small piece of clear plastic sheeting to put over the patch area while it cures to give it a nice smooth and fully cured finish.

Search for ‘Evercoat Match’n Patch Kit’

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Even if you do a Perfect match on the gelcoat, by next year it won't match. New gelcoat will not fade at the same rate as the old stuff. It WILL be noticeable. Even the PRO's have difficulty with it. I doubt your autobody buddy will be any better. Tinting Gelcoat is a LOT different than paint.

zool

Captain
Does it help that it's 90 degrees during the day here I the curing process? As far as time for the non wax gel?
Also as far as the matching color, I have a friend with a body shop that mixes his own paint would that help me, can I use the urethane mix to add to gel coat for match?

The final coat of gel should be inhibited, waiting out uninhibited gel isnt the proper way, the hard shell is achieved from a proper cure....hotter temp will speed up the process, but not really improve the durability.

you need polyester pigments to tint gel, I suppose its possible to use a urethane pigment to tint it, but I doubt it would work.

Resins can be proprietary, and paints even more so....

If you want to fix your boat, get a kit and play with it, If you want to study composites, its a ton of material and study...and a ton of trial and error.