Deck lid gaps

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
Decided I'd open a can of worms and pull the carpet out of my 99 fisher f20fs and put in kiwigrip, the problem I'm having as I ripped out some of the carpet I realized that the gaps between deck lids are going to be unsightly. Anyone know of anything I can do to take up the gaps, maybe some sort of white weather stripping that will hold up?

Attachments

• photo300752.jpg
    photo300752.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 0

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Lid is fiberglass? Sand it up and add a little glass. Then you can fit it perfect. And you are coating it anyway so that's covered
just an idea

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Or you could just make a new one... a new piece of ply and a couple layers of CSM and and your good.

Chrisried

Seaman Apprentice
Lids are aluminum. Boat has two big deck lids that would be quite a lot of work to make new. Would really like to get away from carpet but I'm wondering if going back with carpet or vinyl is my best bet.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would do carpet....and go boating

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
If the gaps don't bother you aesthetically, I'm a big fan of some sort of weather stripping around the hatches. My last boat had a wooden ski locker cover that rattled like crazy in choppy water and sounded like the boat was falling apart. I used to drive around with my left foot extended out putting pressure on it so it didn't rattle around. I plan on any hatches in my resto getting some level of weather stripping or sound deadening.